PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Terms and Acronyms on the Board

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

whinging pom
Answers: 0

Re: Terms and Acronyms on the Board

Post by whinging pom »

The serial is x30780 Lasse
Thanks
Pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

VGB wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:40 pm Lots to keep you busy :D

https://www.common-cents.info/
You’re not wrong!

Cripes on a bike that seems all encompassing.

So if someone is aware of all those measurements like ERN and AA (action angle) etc etc and know what these measurements are for their rod and decide they could do with more of this and less of that or a combination to find their “Staff of Moses”, is it even possible to look up which rod fits that bill?
Has anyone kept up a register of Rods manufactured and tested them.?
How practically does all this info help you? Is it a tool for blank designers, does it help matching a specific line and profile?
Or is it just an extra vocabulary to utilise when being more specific about discussing comparative rods ?

If I found the specific data for the HT5 pro and then found out that the barstool delta 9 5 wt ( sorry couldn’t resist😁)had the same specific data would I find they were identical to cast?
Pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

We have a database here but it stopped working. I have a new database setup to populate with the old numbers. And of course I haven’t done this yet.

Good questions. I have asked those too. Magnum Angus uses them on rod reviews. There are some issues. There are manufacturing variations between rods of the same model. And there are errors in measuring. In Scotland two people couldn’t even agree on the same Action Angle when looking at the same rod. :D

It was supposed to solve problems for the common man, but it’s also really quite nerdy.

There are certainly some proposed improvements: Swingweight for example. And Merlin has offered improvements too and there is a PDF on that too. I’ll find it later, have a lesson now.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think it’s useful in a builders thumb type of way, knowing ERN and AA gives you an idea of the rod stiffness profile under a static load, so you have a mental image. It’s possible to characterise the rod dynamic performance but rods would get even more expensive to cover the non recurring cost and 98% of anglers would use the data to prop up a wobbly table, the remaining 2% would argue about the methodology 😂
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

whinging pom wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:32 pm The serial is x30780 Lasse
Thanks
Pom
X is a good run, take good care of it, they can't reproduce it :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
rusty

Post by rusty »

ABC - the alphabet

Return to “Flycasting”