PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC - overall

Michal Duzynski
Answers: 0

Re: WC - overall

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:28 am Here is a hypothetical situation for you Mike. Imagine we leave ICSF umbrella. And let’s face it we are a different situation and, currently at least, the countries we represent do not have to be ICSF member. So we leave but the ICSF continues to run the “official” world championship. Now there are two. Which is the real one?

Cheers, Paul
The one I win in :yeahhh:
Just kidding, you right, I don't want to start about the ICSF aging, let them be.
The initial issue I had was, how many different World Championships there is for the same thing?

Cheers
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know anyone who thinks Speyorama is the WC but I might be wrong. Funny, I’ve recently been talking to the guy who got that rolling along with Mel Krieger. I’m having a 5 piece DHD made at the moment. I’d love to go one day. But I’m definitely some years away from that happening :D

I personally think the more we can do to promote the sport the better. I suspect I might have found another competitor for the Malaysian team, although he doesn’t know it yet :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I think you do know some who believe it to be a world championship... I mean, you think twohanded rods are double dildo's and forget you do know how to throw one, and for years you claimed accuracy was for women only... it's not,they are just better at it than you 😉

And yeah, the more we do ourselves...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

They are. It’s the one sport where transgender women would have an unfair advantage.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Sat bored waiting for X-ray results and a thought came to mind.. do they do team scores at the world championships based on all the individual placing or events, rather than just rewarding individuals , I haven’t noticed it. ?
WP
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

No thank goodness :D I’ve personally never understood all that stuff. “Proud to be an Earthling”… why?

So, as you’d expect from flyfishermen, and flyfisherwomen, we are all nihilists.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 4:27 pm No thank goodness :D I’ve personally never understood all that stuff. “Proud to be an Earthling”… why?

So, as you’d expect from flyfishermen, and flyfisherwomen, we are all nihilists.

Cheers, Paul
I don’t know I guess some very wise guy said….
think it’s a collective thing. When you amass more people who can push the limits then everyone gains. That’s great
😁

( still sat in A+E and overthinking things here)

And I thought if people are pushing as a team it might raise the individual’s levels and support, and give them additional purpose.
It would also flattens out the influence of the weather on the over all team result. As it seems to be a lottery on the individual’s!

Never having done anything remotely competitive I have no idea about the team or individual psychology I have to admit.

The one thing in golf I’ve always loved is the Ryder cup it’s seems to raise the majorities skill set to new levels for a few glorious days
WP
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Oh sure it helps as a team. No question and you do see that support. But it’s not contained to within teams or countries. I’m not competing for a country that’s for sure; I’m representing my third one now :D I have great friends in all teams and I get lots of encouragement from them and vice versa. We share information and always have. I don’t hold anything back. If I had I’m not even sure we would have a world championships.

I would hate to see that change. I genuinely believe that the distances have improved over the past twenty years simply because the information is openly shared. If we had all been working in closed groups during this time we wouldn’t be at the current level.

I’ll help and encourage any athlete from any country. And the great thing is you get it back. Ten-fold.

But I’m not nationalist or patriotic at all and think it’s one of the great problems in the world. And it makes absolutely no sense to me at all :D

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
HenryM

Post by HenryM »

Hello All,

About the Spey-o-Rama "World Championship"
I am a bit embarrassed about it. It is clear to me that the GGACC folks do not have permission from the ACA or directly from the ICSF to call their event a World Championship. As I understand, the ICSF is recognized by the International Olympic Committee as the governing body for the sport of Casting. In that sense, they have the right (at least more right than anyone else) to declare a casting event the World Championship. Along the same lines the GGACC does not have the right. But I am sure they have their "justifications". Some competitors might have said something along the lines of "This is better than the WC!" or "I feel this is the real World championship." Or they went along with the American tendency of exaggeration (especially the 'what we do is the best' kind) and justified it by calling it something slightly different at first - maybe "Spey-o-rama Championship" to "Spey-o-rama World Championship" to just "World Championship". As long as everyone understands that this is just an exaggeration, a way to make the organizers and the competitors feel better, then there isn't much harm in that. That's probably why no-one has told them to cease-and-desist.
Of course, there could be other justifications the GGACC might have applied. The variety of casters (countries and otherwise) participating at the Spey-o-rama might well be (or have been) superior to that at the Fly Casting WC. Or it came down to semantics: Those guys organize the Fly Casting World Championships (that happens to have two Spey events) while we organize a true Spey Casting World Championship (with no other events). As mentioned, I am a bit embarrassed about the unchecked need for exaggeration. But I also didn't see the need to rain on their parade and risk making something, that clearly fosters the excitement around the sport of casting, more difficult.

BTW, the ACA as the "governing body of casting in the US" does have the right to call its National Tournament the "US Open in Casting". So that's what's going to happen this August. International casters are invited. Norway and Sweden have promised their delegations.

Henry
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

HenryM wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:29 pm Hello All,

About the Spey-o-Rama "World Championship"
Those guys organize the Fly Casting World Championships (that happens to have two Spey events) while we organize a true Spey Casting World Championship (with no other events).

Henry
Hi Henry, thank you for your comment and clarification.
No need to be embarrassed, you guys should be proud because you did well, and now in August US open- great.

My point here is- when discussing better way for WC with single handed Fly Casting, I mean better in a way of measuring( Casting over the grass with precise measuring), location( something more travel friendly, big city, airport proximity), just to name two, there is always a question how to accommodate spey events.
Anyway, you guys have fun and keep the good job.
Cheers
Mike

Return to “Casting Sport”