PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC - overall

James9118
Answers: 0

WC - overall

Post by James9118 »

Does anyone know how the points system worked in order to determine the overall combined scores at the world championships?

Thanks, James.
sms

Re: WC - overall

Post by sms »

Yes, for 1-4 (without speys) and 1-6. Points in accuracy + 2 longest casts in trout distance + sea trout longest * 1,5 + salmon longest * 1,5 + 15 spey * 0,7 + 18 spey * 1,2

https://www.icsf-castingsport.com/uploa ... asting.pdf Page 14. X 3.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Thanks for that.

It seems like they're looking for an algorithm that does not favour any particular event, but in my mind they haven't succeeded. I hope that they've looked up historic results to come up with the multipliers in order to even out the contribution of each event to the overall score.

I think a better system would be to calculate all the results as a percentage of the winning one, i.e. the winner of each individual event gets 100% and everyone else gets a percentage based on their score/distance, thus 1-4 maximum score is 400% and 1-6 it is 600%. I think this equalises the contribution of each event and avoids any bias that could be caused by the weather over the course of the weekend etc.

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Why a percentage and not just add up all the positions? Otherwise it favours one event over another. Of course one has to be in all 4 events to qualify. Or if it was me I would just make it all 6.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Hi Paul,

Adding up positions doesn't reward an outstanding performance in my opinion. Take something like the following example of two casters casting accuracy and trout distance:

Accuracy: Caster A - 80 points; Casters B - 3 points
Trout Distance: Caster A - 35.5m; Caster B - 36m.

In the 'positions' system this is a draw.
In a percentage system, Caster A wins (rightly so in my opinion)

Percentages don't bias the result in the favour of any event, it just gives a relative performance and then adds them up. This is by far the better metric in my book.

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok I agree. However if for example there is a brief surge in a tail wind for 15 minutes then it favours those who cast in those conditions above other events and not only for that event. Positions in that respect would be fairer.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Sounds like something similar to decathlon scoring might be what you are looking for. Each event is scored by comparing performance to world records. Every few years the rating system is revised to keep track of changing records in the individual event. It’s a lot of work for decathlon but in fly casting you can’t beat a perfect score in accuracy so no need to change those tables and the distance scoring tables could be formulaic based on current record so it probably would not be that much extra work. Interesting side effect would be the ability to compare results across the different events as well as genders. You could have a best men’s, women’s and overall. Possibly even team ratings.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep that would be interesting. Problem I have with that is distances and even accuracy can be very much affected by conditions. If I wanted my longest cast I would cast with you in Calgary and throw with a strong tail wind. Or here, during a tsunami. Which I have done but I don’t consider these to be my best casts. There are times when 120’ is absolute max and so “world records” are IMO nonsense. It might be possible to throw the 5WT 130’ at sea level and indoors. 140 or 150’? That’s not going to happen because of the limitations of the line. So I would get rid of that factor altogether and relate it to only what happens on the day.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
sms

Post by sms »

I also think James' proposal is the most even that can be had. Wind will always have an effect and that cannot be fully ignored.
If one gets screwed due to wind in sea trout for example, it will cause the same person screwed for that even in the combined.
TBH, not a big fan of these combos even thou 1-6 might be quite fruitful for me should I enter the accuracy too.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

1-6 positions based would actually be very interesting. That would get me waving the dildo around. Even the big one.

Sorry not to have been there mate. Sucks. But we’re still in survival mode over here. Almost surfacing.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”