PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Wimpy back cast

Dangermouse
Answers: 0

Re: Wimpy back cast

Post by Dangermouse »

Thanks Pom
Your right, during the triangle practice I'm concentrating on the tip and the casting arc and just glancing at the loop to see the result and what needs adjusting. Then once I have it up in the air I'm trying to get the same results from just feel and how the loop looks. Which ends up as a fight against gravity, too much power and a complete knotty mess. I will be watching the tip at the next practice session. Ty

As for lubes and fancy rods, I can't afford all that stuff.
A old rod, one cheap line and a box of flies
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I agree with Pom here :)

And this one to make Vince and Walter uncomfortable :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Good post there from Pom!

However the line running along the blank surface will create friction and stop the shoot into the backcast. This is even worse with polyurethane and some budget flylines. It’s not just about comp casting but learning the double haul and in fact fishing! This is where lined rings have a massive advantage over Snakes or Recoils. Easy to change by turning them out. Costs nothing!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Dangermouse wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:35 am Your right, during the triangle practice I'm concentrating on the tip and the casting arc and just glancing at the loop to see the result and what needs adjusting. Then once I have it up in the air I'm trying to get the same results from just feel and how the loop looks. Which ends up as a fight against gravity, too much power and a complete knotty mess. I will be watching the tip at the next practice session.
Try Graeme’s top ferrule -exercise.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think that one of the major takeaways from Poms post is that feel is the result of the right action and outcome, and not the cause. Very good introspective piece.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

Thanks Pom and Lasse, watching the tip really helped my cast. Got to 70' with little effort, just the leader landed in a U.
Probably should of feathered the presentation.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
VGB

Post by VGB »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:03 am And this one to make Vince and Walter uncomfortable :p
So I can sleep at night
A2FEB2E1-747E-4438-A51D-ACC0DC122B63.jpeg
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:D :D :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

paul
After some thought i feel we need to go a bit further with this if possible.

As a person whose recently gone through these battles and tried to rebuild a casting stroke, the first problem to isolate seemed to be the initial back cast that sets up the forward cast and to a great extent dictates what will follow with the rod, the subsequent loop, and the effect on the struggling beginners consequent efforts and mistakes.

More often than not we are then playing catch up to form loops because the initial back cast has been a mess.

And I believe that isolating this first action is worthy of its own video lesson and concentrating on the detail and challenges of getting an efficient, stacked unfurling loop , not just in ideal conditions ( benign breeze and the rod tip in/ on the surface) but when theres some wind behind and you need to get it back and set up for the forward cast. ( the real world).

Even on the Pauld at distance there's things you guys are doing to set it up right. its not just the techniques but how it feels to achieve this, and how your grip intensity effects or hinders this.

I've watched your videos through your various hair lengths and beard incarations, but not really found this problem answered in this way.

Now this means showing bad casts and technique to demonstrate whats wrong, i dont want to offend you but your the crappest crap caster ive seen on the videos, you just cant cast badly without pantomiming.Can you not film some beginners struggling to demonstrate the faults? Before you then show us how it should be done.
( for the sake of continuity of your excellent series you may need to cut the barnett and expose your chin again....it'll grow back!).

james gave me a little tip to create the feeling to get the line going back into the wind and drive through a loop, I dont want to paraphrase him, but I am sure you master casters all have your techniques or ways of describing it. What are they ? how do you describe the stroke or the stop on the back cast?

Its the foundation of a good cast and the location where bad habits creep and rot sets in for us duffers and newbies.

my eleven cents worth !
the whinging one
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha the billiard cue ball days are over. :D

Yes I’ll have a think about that. Thing is I don’t really do it that way. Ie look at a cast and offer a change. Look at the result, offer another change and so on. I used to do it that way. But I don’t think those things stick well.

The way I do nowadays is to offer drills, exercises, things to focus on and gradually over time build it up.

So in other words instead of making a change or series of changes I offer exercises that will reset the stroke.

Now you’re going to ask me what they are aren’t you? :D

I’ve been thinking about that and putting together a series of casting exercises, drills etc. I’m starting to take notes! I do think this would be a very useful addition. And it’s a very good idea to include the problem first. I’ll have a think about how to do that. Maybe I’ll wear a Hawaiian shirt while making the bum casts.

I’m not sure how quickly I’ll do this. I might be able to do it during the Wet (Nov/Dec). Otherwise the Dry (Jan/Feb) should really be doable.

That’s really something that I don’t think is anywhere. Before I was recording the Zoom lessons I was making these sorts of training videos. Then I realised I was sharing one person’s video with another. Doing it properly and structured would be an excellent addition. I can see that’s going to keep me quite busy!

Thanks!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Beginners”