PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Drag?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

RexW
Answers: 0

Drag?

Post by RexW »

Per the FFI's casting definitions page: "Drag - Hand translation during the pause in the direction of the next cast."

Is there any situation where someone would want to intentionally do this? It seems like this would just shorten the Stroke length and risk causing a Tailing Loop.

Is there a reason to intentionally use "Drag"? I tend to think of this type of movement as a casting fault. Am I missing something?

Note: the FFI has defined " Creep" as "Rod rotation during the pause in the direction of the next cast.". So, they have separated rotational movement from translational movement during the pause in their definitions.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Drag?

Post by Paul Arden »

Terrible definition and yes it sounds like a fault. On Sexyloops the definition is:

Drag: Rod translation during the early part of a Casting Stroke

Drag establishes momentum in the direction of the cast with little or no rod rotation. (Not essential to all casting styles.)

This is something that distance casters all do.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The motion that the IFF describe we would call “Drift” or “Forward Drift”. Ie a rod/hand repositioning move between Casting Strokes. It does have a use and we often use it when we Slide.

It could also be a form a Creep too (SL definition) because if the caster normally begins his/her cast with Drag/Translation then any unintentional movement would be translational.

https://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/definitions2.shtml

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

RexW wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:08 am Is there a reason to intentionally use "Drag"? I tend to think of this type of movement as a casting fault. Am I missing something?
Yes, there are times when this can be utilised without it being a fault.

The most common time is casting in a strong wind (front cast or back cast). If we use a long stroke and wide casting arc (plus a haul) to introduce great line speed into a head wind, the next cast with the wind can be made with a smaller stroke and casting arc. That means "dragging" as per this definition is reinstating a desirable casting stroke and isn't a fault.

Another time is when we want to throw a tail. If we intend to throw a tail, it is not a fault.

Yet another (slightly more esoteric) time is when casting Paul's "Snakehead" cast. "Dragging" the rod while also slipping line improves the cast.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

According to that definition, my distance stroke here is shorter than my accuracy stroke here. In one I am throwing 120+ feet and in the other I aim to hit a ring no further than 50 feet away.

I agree with Paul and Graeme.

Also, tails come from uneven acceleration of the line, drag is a good way of smoothing out the acceleration.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yet another (slightly more esoteric) time is when casting Paul's "Snakehead" cast. "Dragging" the rod while also slipping line improves the cast.
Using SL definitions that would be Slide of course. The distinction between Slide and Drag was made 20 years ago and very useful it’s been too.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
RexW

Post by RexW »

Thanks Everyone, this is helpful. I will review everything you've mentioned and then I may have more questions.

Thank you.

Return to “Flycasting”