PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Constant Acceleration

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Constant Acceleration

Post by Graeme H »

(To be picky, it is change of displacement over change of time …)
FFi CCI
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Overthinking...my aopolgies.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I think this thread is highlighting the difference between pure mathematics and what's practical in real life. When terms like 'constant acceleration' are used the pure mathematician sees a step function i.e. at time zero the acceleration is increased from zero to whatever the constant rate is. When you subsequently differentiate a step function you end up with an infinity solution, i.e. a massive jerk (where 'jerk' is used to describe the differential of acceleration, or the third differential of position if you prefer). As far as I'm aware, the human body cannot just jump to an acceleration rate (nor can any machines that I know of) therefore constant acceleration at times near zero simply cannot happen.

Graeme - your example reminds me of a question I used to ask at interviews - if a plane travels to it's destination at 400mph and comes back at 600mph, what is it's average speed for the round trip. The answer being 480mph - amazing how many very well educated people struggled with that one.

James
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

… and the average velocity is zero. 😁 (But I guess that was the second most common answer.)
FFi CCI
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Graeme H wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:12 pm … and the average velocity is zero. 😁 (But I guess that was the second most common answer.)
I would prefer that answer over someone who just blurted out 500 :glare: In fact, I preferred a 'I don't know' over someone saying 500 :D
VGB

Post by VGB »

James9118 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:07 pm if a plane travels to it's destination at 400mph and comes back at 600mph, what is it's average speed for the round trip. The answer being 480mph - amazing how many very well educated people struggled with that one.
The right answer is 417 kts, planes don't do mph :p And you would have to specify if that is TAS, CAS, EAS or Groundspeed :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

You get the job Vince. No time to retire for you! 😁
FFi CCI
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

So...

if I had to get out a pencil and paper to figure that out... does that prove or disprove I'm well educated? :evil:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Me too...I'm going back into my cage.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:16 pm So...

if I had to get out a pencil and paper to figure that out... does that prove or disprove I'm well educated? :evil:
That depends entirely on what you do with the pencil :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting Physics”