PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Constant Acceleration

Moderator: Torsten

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Constant Acceleration

Post by Paul Arden »

So if we go from A to B with the rod at a steady (constant) acceleration, we have a different result than if we reach B at the same time, but had started slowly and then accelerated quickly at the end of the stroke to catch up. While the rod butt arrives at B at the same time with both strokes, the bend in the rod will be greater in the second scenario.

The question is how significant is this? And will it always cause a tail as some people (mistakenly I believe) think?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

That’s why we talk about application of power, not acceleration (force)

Power is a function of both acceleration and time, or put another way, it is when we apply the force.

(More correctly power is force multiplied by velocity, but velocity is displacement / time, so power is a function of force and time and distance)
FFi CCI
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Lou

You are correct, there is just a question of definition covered by Stoaststail and Graeme. To me "distance" gave the idea of a location in space, hence my question.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

“Distance” implies a starting location. The space between two locations (displacement) is what we call call distance. But we also need to know which direction we’ve moved.

So distance is not location. It requires a relationship to a second location to be meaningful.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

This got me thinking a bit more. According to Wikipedia:
In physics, jerk (also known as jolt) is the rate of change of an object's acceleration over time.
That’s something I don’t remember being taught at school. 👍
FFi CCI
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

So, without wishing to confuse the issue any more, or offer an alternative definition to the term Jerk :)

If my velocity is 1mps thataway and I travel for 100m thataway at 1mps or 1000m thataway at 1mps I think my velocity is still 1mps thataway. In order to calculate speed I may have displaced 1m or 0.00001 of a m or 10,000m. is this wrong ? I may need strong drink.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Sorry, I am actually confused by this.

Your speed is the distance you’ve travelled divided by the time it took to do it.

(Velocity has direction included too,)
FFi CCI
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

My velocity is unchanged by the distance travelled.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Sorry. I should not have edited.
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:25 pm My velocity is unchanged by the distance travelled.
Well, yeah, if you travel at a constant velocity, your velocity stays the same regardless of how far you walked. That’s what a constant velocity means.

However, if you walk at 4 km/h for a km and then jog at 8km/h for 2 km in the same direction, your velocity for the total distance is 6 km/h. You travelled 3 km in half an hour. Displacement divided by time.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”