PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

#10 line recommendation

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

James9118
Answers: 0

#10 line recommendation

Post by James9118 »

I'm after a new tropics #10 line. I will be mostly using it for chucking big (6-8 inch) streamers with accompanying wire traces to cudas and shark. I definitely don't want a brick on a string as often these shots will be at ~80ft plus, so I'm after a line with a decent head length (45ft plus). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks, James.
Lasse Karlsson

Re: #10 line recommendation

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'd suggest the rio GT, but then you say no bricks on a string, and then thats out, then the cortland GT/Tuna, but its only 41 feet in headlength.
Both does chuck big things 80+ feet though :blush:

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

James,

A line that I have been using of late, that I find decent, is a SA "Amplitude Smooth Infinity Salt" in 10wt F.

I had to dig out the box to remember all that! The box also says the head is 51'.

I find it to be well matched to a Sector 11wt (the 2 piece version). I think these lines are a bit heavy for label wt: (305 gr/19.8 g @ 30') so I use a -1 line.

Although I throw slightly smaller tarpon streamers (max 5") and no wire traces. So, for sharks you may want to step up?

What I don't particularly like about the line is that it is like 4 different colors... seems kinda stupid to me... but I do like how it casts.

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I like the Infinity very much however it might be slightly short for James’ requirements. Like Gary I drop by one line number (using a 9 number line on the HT10). Another similar taper I liked is the SA Redfish. RÍO used to make a Technical Tarpon that had a 60’ head but unfortunately I don’t think it’s still in production.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I'ver never cast the saltwater versions, but the Infinity-lines are really fine lines.

Lars
sms

Post by sms »

I chase tuna with Rio Flats Pro full intermediate 10 (true 11 as it is one weight heavy) and it has 60lb core. But I recon it would work as a floating version for your needs.
50ft head on these. Disgusting price thou.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Thanks guys - I bought the Rio Flats Pro with its 50ft head and eyewatering price - £130 for a length of plastic string!

Cheers, James
James9118

Post by James9118 »

I just thought I'd add to this - Rio saltwater fly lines are shite! Having spent a stupid amount of money on plastic strings it turns out that the adhesion to the core is abysmal, thus the coatings on my lines, after only one trip, are sliding up and down on the cores.

The core itself is smooth monofilament, clearly not the best option to get something to stick to it. Having asked around, a number of people I know who flats fish have also seen the exact same problem. I'm very disappointed and certainly won't consider purchasing a Rio saltwater line again.

James
George C

Post by George C »

I think if you contact Rio they will replace the line…..at which point you can move it on.
SA makes a version of their grand slam line with a clear intermediate 9’ tip. Very steep front taper. 3/4 wt heavy. 40’ head length I think. I’ve used the 9 on the HT10 to throw bulky stuff, though not 12” shark flies with long wire traces.

https://scientificanglers.com/product/s ... clear-tip/
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

It may be a bad batch. They did have some quality control issues a few years ago. Maybe they are back?
FFi CCI

Return to “Saltwater”