PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

#10 line recommendation

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

James9118
Answers: 0

Re: #10 line recommendation

Post by James9118 »

Graeme H wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:02 pm It may be a bad batch. They did have some quality control issues a few years ago. Maybe they are back?
I think the issue is the super smooth monofilament core that they use. Anyone with some knowledge of materials science will tell you that adhering anything to a smooth surface is problematic. Incidentally, the Ballistic saltwater line that I bought for myself also went the same way (i.e. barely lasted one trip) - it was made for Ballistic fly lines by Rio, using the same monofilament core construction. I'm only buying lines with braided cores from now on.

Cheers, James
sms

Post by sms »

I’ve only had that happening with barstool lines with braided cores. I love the stiffness, but capability to get i straight that monocore brings. Much less tangles in my fishing. Have not had any problems with barstool or Ruo (Leviathan and Flatspro) lines. And those do get a beating when there is a decent tuna pulling the other way.
I'm here just for the chicks.

-Sakke
George C

Post by George C »

This one might also work. Available in a 9.5 with 50’ head but a steeper front taper than the infinity.
Sold as a bonefish line for people who struggle to cast but it likely would turnover bulky stuff better than the infinity.
https://scientificanglers.com/product/a ... fish-plus/
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

I stay with SA and Cortland. The Cortland line has a solid nylon core. I haven't had any issues with either line

Lou
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

Anyone else want to crowd fund a saltwater version of SA’s MED?

SA Amplitude lines are far and away the best on the market, no one else even comes close in my opinion. But the 51’ Infinity head is too short and front taper far too abrupt. I do like the new Bonefish Plus line, same 50’ head length but more gradual front taper for more delicate presentations. Only wish they made it in 10 and 11wts too.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Taylor8 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:31 am Anyone else want to crowd fund a saltwater version of SA’s MED?

SA Amplitude lines are far and away the best on the market, no one else even comes close in my opinion. But the 51’ Infinity head is too short and front taper far too abrupt. I do like the new Bonefish Plus line, same 50’ head length but more gradual front taper for more delicate presentations. Only wish they made it in 10 and 11wts too.
A friend of mine has recently started up a fly line manufacturing company - Celestial Fly Lines, all made at his facility in Wales. His long belly #5 and #7 tournament lines are better than the MED in my opinion. I'm working on him to make tropics lines, he's told me he's getting a braiding machine so he can also manufacture cores rather than buying them in - once he has this capability he'll be able to stiffen the lines up for tropical use.

Cheers, James
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

Thanks James, I just hoped on their website. Looking forward to those tropic lines.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

There are significant differences in the coating used between the different manufacturers. Over the years I’ve been sent lines from many manufacturers and many of these lines simply don’t shoot well at all. It must be difficult to make a tropical coating that shoots. It could be another reason why we have many bricks on strings SW lines.

As everyone here knows, I coat my lines with thin silicone oil to further enhance the shoot. When I did this to an SA Bonefish line fresh out the box, I literally had to coil wrap the line around my hands to fight the fish, it was so slippery. I’ve tested two manufacturers SW lines where I still get line burns with a new line, even coated in silicone oil. They are just not slippery.

As far as line slickness and shoot-ability goes, I think SA are out in front. Certainly with tropical lines.

Taylor, I saw the Bonefish Plus listed. What’s it like? I’ve just put in a begging letter to SA. I have Bonefish and Infinity lines coming. Maybe I should ask to test one of these?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Taylor8

Post by Taylor8 »

The Bonefish Plus is my new favorite SA line. As you can tell from the grain weight, it’s in-between the Bonefish and Infinity lines. Correcting what I said earlier, it has a more gradual Back taper than the Infinity giving it less of a brick on a string feel. The 8wt matches really well with the HT8 in my opinion. Wish the head was 10’ longer and then it’d be near perfect.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks! I’ll try to get hold of one for testing. Maybe the 7. I have been talking to SA about some tropical SW MEDs. I had a few tropical MED5s that were great over here.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Saltwater”