PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

What is repetition?

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: What is repetition?

Post by Paul Arden »

There is a huge trap here in excluding the very people we want to include. We’ve all seen that happen. It’s not that the information is unpalatable or wrong, it’s that it’s presented in a way that most people don’t understand it.

That’s the problem with academic papers, for example. They’re not written for general consumption or to educate. I’ve been editing my wife’s academic papers these past two years and it annoys me when she quotes stuff that I don’t understand and need to in order to edit. And when I ask her what it means she says she doesn’t know either!! :D :D

A new member here commented privately to me that he couldn’t post until he understood all the jargon and acronyms on the Board. We have fallen into that same trap! (We need to stop doing that).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Interesting.

Nick Winkelman recommended a book list, none of them are particularly burdened with jargon, his in particular explains the concepts very clearly. Recommending a book isn’t a trap as far as I know, so for anyone who wants a good grasp of the theory…have a read

In my personal experience, a very common reaction is that it’s largely unnecessary to understand any of it, rather than it being difficult to understand. That’s because most of what we already do, works..kinda…and we probably don’t want to imagine a world where we’re not seen as magicians. 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I suspect that is largely a defensive reaction, Mark. Sometimes it’s not what we communicate but how we communicate :laugh:

This stuff is absolutely fascinating to anyone who teaches movement. It’s at the root of what we do. If a coach is not completely fascinated by it, then it’s being put in a way that he either doesn’t understand, doesn’t want to understand or feels threatened by.

I think we know a few people who have run into this problem before in our world.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Yup..🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that Nick could write an excellent how-to-teach sports movement mini guidebook using the info in his current book. It’s all there in the chapter summaries. Add a few flycasting examples and pass that onto CIs. That would go a long way to improve the world. :pirate:
The closest most of us will come is in CI or MCI mentoring and I think that’s quite different to teaching recreational anglers.
It is! The CI training I find to be quite restrictive. I’ve done fair bit of that online too. It doesn’t take 12 sessions though. 6 should be adequate. There is a certain irony that I cover a wider spectrum of casts and techniques with recreational anglers than I do with most CIs. The irony being that quite a few CI candidates take the assessments to improve their casting technique! Anyway it’s all good.

I stopped offering 6 lessons earlier in the year, just to concentrate on 12. If someone asked for CI training I would do it but I won’t do 6 lessons otherwise now. The course structure is actually 10 lessons. And then we have two sessions at the end for whatever they want, by which point it’s like having their own practise session with a coach. Sometimes they rebook. One particular guy I’ve been teaching for 2.5 years and we’ve had over 30 hours. We get together approximately once per month now.

It’s been an eye-opener to say the least. It’s one good thing that came out of Covid!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I’m not sure if Mark or I was useless but it took a lot more than 6 sessions to get me up to speed. Maybe he just has high standards 😂
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It will vary of course and it also depends on the starting point. That’s not including theory which I do separately via email.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

An interesting dit that majors on learning over performance:

https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/2022/1 ... obal-en-GB
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think I’d fear the man who has practised 10,000 kicks 10,000 times!

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:36 am I think I’d fear the man who has practised 10,000 kicks 10,000 times!
Right up until he was in a boxing match. In fishing terms, it’s the difference between being a one trick pony and having a full range of control to produce casts that allow you to present the fly in a number of ways.

Return to “Teaching”