PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Habits and Motivation

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Bernd Ziesche
Answers: 0

Re: Habits and Motivation

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:44 am Add these to your lessons and I ll join every one of them (your lessons).
VGB wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:48 am Best he shaves his leg’s first :D
These not this, mate. 😁
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

“how do you motivate someone to practice?”
How about "You'll enjoy your fishing more, catch more fish, not hook yourself, and look really cool doing it - rather than like an idiot". :cool:

Was teaching some guys down in Sydney and a bloke approached to ask about lessons. He was going north to the tropics for the first time. I told him, "Nah, I've already spent $7000 on the trip". :glare: Couldn't believe my ears..........

Morsie
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I did a trip to Iceland where anglers had the guide casting for them because they couldn’t cope with the wind. I’ve been in the situation where I have had a guided fishing day on a family holiday and haven’t been up to scratch, it really peed me off.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

:laugh: :laugh: Maybe you’ll get lessons from him when he returns. The reality of seeing the fish but not being able to put the fly in front is usually enough to book some lessons. Although sometimes it takes a few trips.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I’ve been thinking a bit about the motivation piece and think that you have to be able to demonstrate a real benefit to the student if they practice the skills you have taught. In the context of the roll cast thread, if we teach that there’s only 1 right way of delivering a good cast and it doesn’t work in their fishing environment, why would they be motivated to learn a skill that is obviously doomed to failure in that environment:
880F2891-CC06-420A-A773-6324A415D062.jpeg
Moreover, their chances of recalling a taught skill are much reduced if the skill hasn’t been taught in a context relevant environment, even if the context is created by artificial or imaginary means. “Taking the lesson to the fishing” will embed the lesson much better than rote learning of a movement and maybe motivate them to practice with the carrot being that they don’t have to pick their fly out of a tree if they stuff it up.

Going back to Morsie’s dit about wind casts (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3852&p=68119&hilit=Morsie#p68119) I think the skill that distinguishes good casters for me is their ability to contrive a cast in an unfamiliar setting. Novelty with a tangible fishing gain is another good example of reinforcing the learning process. Maybe once the core control skills are in place setting relevant problem solving challenges may engage students for longer.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

How about "You'll enjoy your fishing more, catch more fish, not hook yourself, and look really cool doing it - rather than like an idiot". :cool:
All that and practice is free.

Although, thinking about it, looking cool is a stretch 😂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Reminds me of jungle fishing the treed bank in Sungai Tiang. We have to cast through the vegetation from the bank :laugh: all bow and arrow casting of course.

Which reminds me, if a low roll cast is required, then make it bow and arrow. In fact I believe it’s more effective that side casting and not only because it doesn’t require a backcast.
Attachments
F72F2D6D-E9DF-4F02-9445-C00BBE6CD9EB.jpeg
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:01 am Although, thinking about it, looking cool is a stretch 😂
It is in Lycra :p

VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

Fishing in Sungai Tiang would float my boat more than the floating boat fishing :D. If I have no backcast, I’ll certainly try a bow and arrow cast, it’s a technique that doesn’t appear in any certification or skills requirement that I’m aware of. If I have room in front of me and enough for a short back cast, I can roll cast a bushy dry a long way upstream with multiple casts, much further than I propel a fly with a bow and arrow cast.

Regards

Vince

Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Presenting the progress in casting level during the single lesson to the student always worked well for me. Success is fun and feels great. So, I recommend to visualize the success. Yesterday I was teaching a total beginner for 5 hours. In the end he was putting together all key points he learnt and making some smooth hauled distance casts. I picked the best one and said "Hey let's measure distance." He was very happy with 25m being perfectly straight on the grass, as was I. We ended the lesson with that cast. In addition I sent him a video of him hauling very well. He realized his own progress and how quick it came in only one day. In his feedback he thanked me for having been so enthusiastic as well. Seems to me that too is a highly motivating key. It always was to me, too, when I was the student. Enthusiastic teachers loving casting sticked deep with me. Make the lesson be fun!
Oh, and I always make connections to fishing! For example a long proper cast can be stripped in like in fishing and then I may hang on a fish (myself as acting like one). That way I teach a beginner fighting a fish and make the connection to why proper casting increases fun in fishing.
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Teaching”