PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Barrio flylines

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Thomas
Answers: 0

Barrio flylines

Post by Thomas »

Hi,

I have read that Barrio now has their lines manufactured in the USA. Has anyone here experience with these new lines? And how do they compare with the old ones? The tapers seems to be the same but the coating must be different.

Cheers

Thomas G
Thomas

Re: Barrio flylines

Post by Thomas »

Hi again,

Anybody?

Cheers Thomas
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Thomas,

I’ve cast one briefly since the move. They are manufactured by Cortland I believe. I didn’t really get to give it a good work out however. Hopefully someone can add something!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Greetings.

Sorry, no experience with the new versions.

In fact, I was just about to order a couple of new lawn mowers, after noticing in this thread that they are back in business, but I see now that GT125 is gone, and GT90 only has the olive version.

(So the affordable option is out, and I guess it has to be either Ballistic Pro Performance or MED.)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

jarmo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 am Greetings.

Sorry, no experience with the new versions.

In fact, I was just about to order a couple of new lawn mowers, after noticing in this thread that they are back in business, but I see now that GT125 is gone, and GT90 only has the olive version.

(So the affordable option is out, and I guess it has to be either Ballistic Pro Performance or MED.)
I've heard very recently from Mike Barrio that the GT125 lines are currently being manufactured, so will be back in stock soon - keep an eye on the website.

Cheers, James
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Greetings James.
James9118 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:47 am
jarmo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:32 am In fact, I was just about to order a couple of new lawn mowers, after noticing in this thread that they are back in business, but I see now that GT125 is gone, and GT90 only has the olive version.
I've heard very recently from Mike Barrio that the GT125 lines are currently being manufactured, so will be back in stock soon - keep an eye on the website.
Excellent news, already polishing my credit card. Thanks!

(I find trimming the grass with a $100 fly line surprisingly painful.)

Have fun!
Jason Pereira

Post by Jason Pereira »

The Mallard range are manufactured in Redditch, I've got a DT3 mallard which works great on my 7' glass rod, lays flat and is nice and supple, I'll be getting a GT 90 for a 5# when they're back in stock so it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference between the UK and US manufactured lines, aside from the obvious
FishNoGeek

Post by FishNoGeek »

I recently grabbed GT125s in WF5F and WF7F. Great price, prompt shipping - all good on the commercial side. I haven't spent much time with the 5wt yet - hoping to get serious about 5s again this coming wee - but I like the 7wt. I gave it an initial stretch, then measured it - it taped out just shy of 125ft, definitely close enough. With a bit more stretching, it might be right on the money.

So far I still prefer my MED7, but only slightly. I've also spent more time working with the MED, so it might just be a familiarity thing. For the price, it sure feels like a bargain. I'll get cracking on the WF5F soon.

It isn't uncomfortably warm yet here, but I live in a place with obnoxiously hot summers. It'll be interesting to see whether the MED or the Barrio holds up better in the heat.
"What gets my cast into trouble isn't what I know how to do - it's what I think I know how to do that just ain't working."
- Mark Twain
Fla

Post by Fla »

Hi Guys

Any new insights about the Barrio Lines manufactured in the USA? I think about ordering a line or two.

cheers,
Flavio

Return to “Tackle”