PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Old clip, some familiar faces

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Old clip, some familiar faces

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

The Japanese casting sport federation, uploaded a cool old clip on youtube yesterday.
Cool to see how casting was when I was 1 :blush:

Enjoy

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
NM

Re: Old clip, some familiar faces

Post by NM »

Thanks Lasse. This one was fun to watch. :)
Many familiar faces. I started in the spring of 74, knew all on the Norwegian team at this championship, one of who was my mentor when I got into this. As you may notice, quite a few was of the participants were only their mid-teens in 73, including on the Norwegian team; I am still in contact with some of them. Fun to see Steve at such a young age. His distance casting stroke was already then as I remember it from when I first saw him, which was several years after this one. I am not sure, but was there Joan W. casting fly accuracy in that segment. :glare:

This was the last ICSF WC on water. After this everything was moved on land. We did cast the accuracy events on water for club-level competitions for some years after this. Casting the ICSF fly distance events on water back then was extremely physically challenging. The lines were as heavy as today I believe, super-fast sinking, and the rods both super stiff and heavy. This was before we got graphite rods. I saw a few bamboo rods (for accuracy I assume, but still…), the rest was heavy and stiff fiberglass rods. I suspect the two-handed fly distance rod that some of the Norwegian casters used was the club rod. If so, then I have practiced and competed with it. It was brutal for a teenager :ninja: (Incidentally, I just this fall talked about that rod and that championship with one of the youngest on the 1973 Norwegian team).

John, did you participate in the 73 Scarborough WC?

Nils
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

NM wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:19 pm I am not sure, but was there Joan W. casting fly accuracy in that segment. :glare:

Nils
Hi Nils

The resident movement expert says definetly, and I say so too :blush: Amazing to see the movement quality being there from back then is so similar to how they still move, both Joan and Steve :)

Thanks for the information, always cool to get some history. Casting complelty died in Denmark about the same time as I picked up a flyrod, and it's like it never happened here, sadly.

Cheers
Lasse

NM

Post by NM »

It's indeed said that it died out in Denmark. I have found memories from one or two Nordic Championships Denmark in the late 70s, including as a first year senior. I got lucky in the single hand fly distance event. :blush:

Nils
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm
NM wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:19 pm I am not sure, but was there Joan W. casting fly accuracy in that segment. :glare:

Nils
Hi Nils

The resident movement expert says definetly, and I say so too :blush: Amazing to see the movement quality being there from back then is so similar to how they still move, both Joan and Steve :)

Thanks for the information, always cool to get some history. Casting complelty died in Denmark about the same time as I picked up a flyrod, and it's like it never happened here, sadly.

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Nils and Lasse,

There is a shot of a lady casting who does look very similar to Joan Wulff. That lady was a US caster named Anne Strobel. Joan Wulff was not there. It was my first WC. Some super casters there, Ulf Janson, Rune Nysveen, Olle Soderblom, to name just a few. It was a great tournament but unfortunately was the first of a few years when many European casting nations cast under the CIPS banner in separate events, not what was the ICF. Fortunately the world saw sense a few years after. It was few years later that I first saw casters from Germany and Eastern European nations. Wow, was that an eye opener!

I have a heap of super 8 movies from 1973 and other venues, including some of the great Jon Tarantino. Steve's stroke is a mirror of Jon's stroke. I must get them converted to DVD this year.

Both fly and plug casting look great on water, plug accuracy especially. My memory fails me but there was a time when we cast distance fly on water and any tick on the water at the back was a no score. That really focused the mind on the backcast.

To your well made point in many posts, Steve used a fibreglass rod in that event for distance. It was a relatively soft rod compared to some rods others were using.

His stroke hasn't change much over the decades has it?

On a very sad note, Helmut Hochwartner passed away last week. Helmut was a multiple world champion fly and plug caster and has a great coach and administrator of both Austrian casting but world casting for decades. My most sincere condolences to Helmut's family and his friends around the world.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks I really enjoyed that. I also thought that was Joan. Must have been hard to measure distance with a lead line over water. Now you see it…

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

John Waters wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:48 am

Hi Nils and Lasse,

There is a shot of a lady casting who does look very similar to Joan Wulff. That lady was a US caster named Anne Strobel. Joan Wulff was not there. It was my first WC.

John
Hi John

Thanks for the clarification, I'm impressed that the movements look so alike :)

Cheers
Lasse

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I was going by the hair style.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

:D

James9118

Post by James9118 »

I can't imagine what it's like having to drag a T120 line up from the lake bed :oh: I imagine the markers had to work quick too, unless the lake wasn't deep enough for the fluff to be dragged under.

Return to “Casting Sport”