PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Tracy #7 distance

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Tracy #7 distance

Post by Paul Arden »

The big difference is the backcast Andy. The forward cast I see as being very similar. The 170 backcast has a longer carry possibility and is far less affected by wind. Steve has a remarkable forward cast and forward haul but doesn’t have the same line speed on the backcast. I think the 170 backcast has the highest line speed of everything we do.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Dung Fly wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:31 am Lasse - that he does, it makes you wonder many casters/anglers opt for the elongated style that can add tracking issues. 🤔
Hi Andy

Not really :) I agree with Paul here, mostly because he really agrees with me :p

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Tracy,

A truly amazing cast! :cool:

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:33 am
Dung Fly wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:31 am Lasse - that he does, it makes you wonder many casters/anglers opt for the elongated style that can add tracking issues. 🤔
Hi Andy

Not really :) I agree with Paul here, mostly because he really agrees with me :p

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Andy,

One reason, work done = force x distance. :) With an open stance distance technique, i top out around 118' and it 'feels' hard work to cast maximum distance. Much easier to open up and use the 170 to cast further, mainly because you can apply more energy to the line with stop less rather than a 'stopped' cast with a controlled arc.

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
VGB

Post by VGB »

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:09 am Like Lasse, hang on. I might be about to agree with Lasse.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in this situation :D Perhaps I need to disagree with you both? :pirate: What if the tip movement during slide is greater than the distance of the slide, i.e. the rod rotates during this phase? I think many people, myself included, have some rotation at this phase of the cast - I thinks it's been measured for your cast which I filmed, Paul.
If it works and achieves the required results why change ?
Hi Andy - well she's always after more distance as far as competition casting goes.

Regards, James.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James, I see it as a repositioning move. What I need for my backcast puts me in a poor position for the start of the forward cast.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi James

As Paul says, it's more of a repositioning move than a accelerating the line one. Get to a good position for hammering that line as straight as possible. If the path there, get's you a running start, all the better, not all of us have the acceleration of a supercar (looking at Steve here :whistle: ) so every little bit helps.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:05 pm If the path there, get's you a running start, all the better, not all of us have the acceleration of a supercar
Hi Lasse,

I totally agree. I guess it comes down to how much importance is attached to that 'running start' - I happen to think it's very important (but I may be wrong). I'd also suggest that those who step into the delivery may think the same, although they could, of course, just be stepping into a better position for the haul etc.

We'll see if Tracy adds any distance with a longer lead-in (if she can change where she puts her hands).

Cheers, James
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Stepping should increase hand speed, the interesting aspect to stepping is which foot should you deliver off and is the torso closed or open when the final step occurs?

John

Return to “Casting Sport”