PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Triangle method limitations

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

Triangle method limitations

Post by Phil Blackmar »

This may have been covered already, I couldn’t find it if it had been, however.

I have spent the better part of the past week exploring the triangle method. What are the downsides to using it all the time for a good caster?

Using a 7 wt rod, I varied fly size and weight and worked In all planes at all distances. This does NOT include COMPETITION distance. I found the method very simple and easy to reproduce good loops. Really tight loops we easily achievable with a slight adjustment at the finish, such as: butt lift, hard stop, pull buck and push. Even without these variations loop sizes were very manageable and fishable.

Throwing a pretty big streamer for a 7wt and no wind, I was able to reach 110 ft without any body rotation or dropping the foot back. My focus was to keep the reel rotating in one place as best as possible.

What am I missing? Why not use this method all the time? What are the shortcomings? With translation removed, timing seems easier.

Thanks
Phil
Stoatstail50

Re: Triangle method limitations

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Funnily enough I use it as a means to add translation rather than remove it.

There are very few limitations that I’ve found with it and it’s very easy to develop.

Why not use this method all the time?
Good question 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Did you catch a bonefish?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Because it throws a horizontal backcast loop close to the ground and there might be nettles or bears back there :) It’s also not the preferred way to throw unless you’re throwing frisbees or skimming pebbles. Arguably it’s very “Lefty-ish” with its advantages and disadvantages. Straight tracking is incredibly complicated and in my view very much inferior.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:04 pm Straight tracking is incredibly complicated and in my view very much inferior.
Are you a beginner caster needing some lessons :D :D :D

Incredibly useful cast for someone who fishes small streams or needs to put a fly under a bush, but I haven't caught a bear yet. Not found any disadvantages yet, it has never failed me yet.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:44 pm Did you catch a bonefish?
I didn’t…It’s blowing a hoolie atm and I couldn’t see a cruise ship on the flats let alone a bone 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:04 pm Because it throws a horizontal backcast loop close to the ground and there might be nettles or bears back there :) It’s also not the preferred way to throw unless you’re throwing frisbees or skimming pebbles. Arguably it’s very “Lefty-ish” with its advantages and disadvantages. Straight tracking is incredibly complicated and in my view very much inferior.

Cheers, Paul
That’s just really sad. ☹️
Casting Definitions

Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:04 pm Because it throws a horizontal backcast loop close to the ground and there might be nettles or bears back there :) It’s also not the preferred way to throw unless you’re throwing frisbees or skimming pebbles. Arguably it’s very “Lefty-ish” with its advantages and disadvantages. Straight tracking is incredibly complicated and in my view very much inferior.

Cheers, Paul
Wow. Per your video on the cast, Shift the plane up and shift the triangle as necessary. Shorter stroke with fewer moving parts. Seems simpler. It surprised me, I’ll admit. I’m headed home. Will attempt a video for your revulsion. :D :D :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If you lift the plane to the vertical then it’s just flycasting! The triangle method for me is a method of watching loops using side casting. Usually ground to ground.

The advantages are we can see the loops. The disadvantage is we move the rod using external/internal rotation from the shoulder as opposed to flexion/extension. Both have their uses of course but for me I would much prefer the latter.
32B69F83-842C-412F-B42F-1F504433E3A9.png
Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Are you a beginner caster needing some lessons :D :D :D
Always! :pirate:
5BCF48D2-35FE-40C9-B1F5-EC901FAAE393.jpeg
5BCF48D2-35FE-40C9-B1F5-EC901FAAE393.jpeg (41 KiB) Viewed 618 times

Doesn’t look too bad until you add the rod. :???:
For every change in length the backcast target moves position.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”