PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The stop revisited.

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

NM
Answers: 0

The stop revisited.

Post by NM »

Vince you wrote in the tip path tread that:
170 … the first step in the mechanics is understanding that the cast isn’t “stopless”.
Why is it not stopless? :glare:
And what is the stop, what is the purpose of it, and why are we in fly casting so focused on it in contrast to say in plug casting or when casting a ball of a flexible stick like a dog ball thrower stick? :whistle:

Nils
DryFly

Re: The stop revisited.

Post by DryFly »

I´m not Vince but.....

There must be a "stop" - otherwise, the rod would follow the line flying away.....
When we keep the rod in our hand, than the motion of the rod tip ends anywere - it stops.
The difference for me is what I call a passive stop and a active stop.
With a passive stop my motion ends smooth without any accaleration at the end, with the active stop I make a sharp accelarated motion at the end of the cast.
This adds some extra speed to the line and so some extra distance.
But it is more work for my rod hand. Especcially with higher line classes.
I do a lot of pike fishing and cast "stopless", so no progressive acceleration at the end of the cast.
( I do always try some casts with a hard stop and I reach a few more meter but with to much work/pain for my rod hand)

So when we are accurate stopless is in my mind a wrong word, but we got used to it.

Cheers
Reinhard
DryFly

Post by DryFly »

Spin fisher don´t talk that much about improving their casting because they reach their target easier?
Or just take a heavier plug?

When spin fisher want to max. their casting distance, than they more often talk about the better rod or line and not that much about improving their casting.
A friend, a carp fisher, practiced for hours, weeks and month to learn to cast further.
But most of the spin/ carp fisher are happy with their casting skills and don´t have to talk about casting technique?
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Thoughts from duffers corner.. (which are usually flawed.. :upside: ...and will wind up Vince).

from what i gathered in your video and from my experience the 'stop' is a misleading term and an undesirable intention in most fly casting..
With your dog thrower or plug cast and with a fly cast, your looking at 'the moment of propulsion' aren't you ?
What is beyond that is deceleration, not stationary, sudden stop. Cease of momentum! Although many people seem to preach that. The stop doesn't not propel the line, it can also inhibit its propulsion and accuracy.

Like you guys mentioned in the video a sprinter hits the tape looking to accelerate up to and snap through it, not cease movement when they reach it, Aim to stop at the tape. and that way comes silver medals at best.
A boxer landing a punch to the chin and stop there will not only pull the punch but will restrict the power and increase the tension in the arm adding to fatigue and slowing the impact.
I see it as the same in the fly cast especially for distance.

You are accelerating the rod movement and haul to propel the rod tip, line and loop out in a direction at the point of maximum acceleration , then you decelerate to a point of stop. How far that goes beyond the propulsion point is pretty much immaterial to the resultant cast once the direction is set. the rate of deceleration is either proportionate and relative, or forced, which is detrimental to the efficiency.

However a desire to put the brakes on and 'stop' to flick the line forward ( like paint of a brush or tap of a hammer or Joan Wulff's power stop ) you are not only restricting the line speed at the point of propulsion, but adding tension to the arms to create this 'stop' which slows the line speed, inhibits the smoothness and the control of loop shape and thus creates tension and over gripping ( and in my case causing physiological damage to my arm).

I think the 'stop' is a mythological beastie after a certain length of line is being propelled, and becomes less relevant the more the length of line is being cast.
pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

or to put it simpler... The concept of the 'stop' created more problems and more misunderstandings in my journey to learn to cast than any other word.
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

whinging pom wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:25 pm Thoughts from duffers corner.. (which are usually flawed.. :upside: ...and will wind up Vince).

I think the 'stop' is a mythological beastie after a certain length of line is being propelled, and becomes less relevant the more the length of line is being cast.
pom
Hi Pom,

Yep, I'm sure you'll be asked to define "certain length", but you're correct. Biomechanics supports that.

John
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

I really like this 😎

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
VGB

Post by VGB »

NM wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:20 pm Vince you wrote in the tip path tread that:
170 … the first step in the mechanics is understanding that the cast isn’t “stopless”.
Why is it not stopless? :glare:
And what is the stop, what is the purpose of it, and why are we in fly casting so focused on it in contrast to say in plug casting or when casting a ball of a flexible stick like a dog ball thrower stick? :whistle:

Nils
Nils

Reinhard is correct
There must be a "stop" - otherwise, the rod would follow the line flying away.....
When we keep the rod in our hand, than the motion of the rod tip ends anywere - it stops.
During the casting stroke, the rod tip is propelling the line in the direction of the cast, direction being a vector. As the rod tip departs from the direction of the cast and the loop begins to form, the rod tip is no longer applying a force (also a vector) in the direction of the cast. Around loop formation the velocity (vector) of the line in the direction of the cast begins to reduce due to drag. The stop occurs when the line is no longer being accelerated in the direction of the cast.

I’ve no idea why the instructosphere got wrapped around the stop, I suspect that there was some association with the spring and stored energy. Nevertheless, the power snap stuffed up my cast for nearly a decade.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Like you guys mentioned in the video a sprinter hits the tape looking to accelerate up to and snap through it, not cease movement when they reach it, Aim to stop at the tape. and that way comes silver medals at best.
We might be able to work with this analogy. If the tape in a 100m line is at the 50m mark but the finish line is still at 100m. The athlete accelerates through the tape but instead of continuing to the finish, curves off to the right and end up sitting in the stand about the 80m mark. What is his rate of acceleration between 50-100m?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

John Waters wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:55 pm Yep, I'm sure you'll be asked to define "certain length", but you're correct. Biomechanics supports that.
How does biomechanics support that John?

Return to “Flycasting”