PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Filming yourself casting

Moderator: JanMan

alhughes
Answers: 0

Filming yourself casting

Post by alhughes »

Hi all
Looking for recommendation's for a camera that I can use to watch myself casting but also good enough to see the loops, and that wont break the bank.
Cheers
Alan
Graeme H

Re: Filming yourself casting

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Alan,

Most current smart phones have great cameras on them.

Try yours first before laying out more money. If it works, all you'll need to buy is some sort of tripod or other mount for the phone.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
alhughes

Post by alhughes »

Thanks Graeme I'll try that
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Most important thing to catch loops on film, is a contrasting background to the line colour and enough light on the line.

Mobile phones have been able to make quality clips for a long time, its the other stuff that matters more.

This was shot with a Samsung s10

Same phone, but different conditions

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

FWIW, the slow-mo video used to create the illustrations in my last book was shot with two iPhones (2017 vintage). As Lasse pointed out clearly, the keys are the right light and background.

In addition, there are some inexpensive apps out there in both the “i” and “a” operating system worlds that can allow you to have granular camera control, if you feel the need.

A standard tripod and a phone mounting system (like a glif) can do wonders and means you don’t need a convenient table, etc., from which to shoot.

A piece of advice to avoid “interpretation errors”: if you want to know what your loops really look like, you need to shoot as close to 90 degrees to the “plane” of the loop as reasonable. This can help to avoid “interesting” discussions about loop size/shape/structure (trust me on this).

A ladder can also be a surprisingly useful tool for certain casts. Drone, too, that’s another step entirely. And then there is motion capture, which doesn’t care about camera angles, but might be a bit much… :D
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Jason Borger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:53 pm

A piece of advice to avoid “interpretation errors”: if you want to know what your loops really look like, you need to shoot as close to 90 degrees to the “plane” of the loop as reasonable. This can help to avoid “interesting” discussions about loop size/shape/structure (trust me on this).

Spot on!

This is very similar loops, different camera angles though..
91829782_10158074990681797_8065406861957922816_o.jpg
Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Thanks, Lasse!

And those two shots show something else that is actually interesting, minus the quotes.

The side-arm shot—while not allowing the loop to be seen clearly from top to bottom (fly leg to rod leg)—is still revealing in terms of what the line is doing as the loop unrolls. So, could be a useful shot to understand what’s going on with certain aspects of either a side-arm or elliptical cast.

Anyway, place the camera to get the image you need, or move your position so the camera can see what you need it to see. Just don’t shoot a nearly side-arm cast from the side and then say, “look how tight my loops are!”
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Jason Borger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:05 pm Anyway, place the camera to get the image you need, or move your position so the camera can see what you need it to see. Just don’t shoot a nearly side-arm cast from the side and then say, “look how tight my loops are!”
Look how tight my loops are! :D
James casting at WC ST27.jpg
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

So tight. Being SL I should have seen that coming sooner rather than later.
James9118 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:29 pm
Jason Borger wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:05 pm Anyway, place the camera to get the image you need, or move your position so the camera can see what you need it to see. Just don’t shoot a nearly side-arm cast from the side and then say, “look how tight my loops are!”
Look how tight my loops are! :D

James casting at WC ST27.jpg
VGB

Post by VGB »

IPads even have tools to make you a better caster
AC60EE5A-1807-4B55-A184-90B2D1BC5826.jpeg
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Photography”