PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Filming yourself casting

Moderator: JanMan

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: Filming yourself casting

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Alan

Anna repositions the rod, before feeding line back, very little angle change in the rod prior to that, so not really moving the line, more sliding along it. And yes, Joakim does have a more static pause, that's all in the style department IMHO :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Yep I was the guy on crutches trying to get them to do a one legged 5 wt competition vainly trying to find something I stood a chance at.
Knowing that mob they just tie one leg up and still wup me by 30’ or more.

I remember you from tea break or rain break

I should be back on two feet by Derbyshire and able to brush up on some lessons.
I’m just going to watch lasses vids I sneaked half hour on field after driving from work( rods always in car in case of breakdowns of gridlock… I’ve gone backwards tonight that bloody champagne will be vintage before I can pop that cork.
Pom
Lasse so are you saying Paul is an Egalitarian Jack Sparrow now? :pirate: … there are a lot parallels,not sure about the Johnny drop look thing though!
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

alanj wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:51 pm Hi Pom, Yes I'm happy to ask daft questions and make an idiot of myself. J
they are not daft questions! , and your not making an idiot of your self. You have your own special knowledge.

(Id wipe the floor with most of these guys in the principles of Apple tree pruning or managing Rose stem hormonal influences and cultivation.)

Casting and physics aint my language and it aint my common sense.... its a dark art still .Just remember ....They've all been at the stage to get where they are.

For some they find it easier to talk in equations or referring to Newtons laws is what they are comfortable with, and then there's the jargon like MCF, its so easy to get lost. For them they are in their comfort zone and communicating freely and precisely and unambiguously.

By asking them to simplify it , Think to yourself that your actually doing 'Them' a HUGE favour!

By having to put or interpret in into layman's terms they are having to revaluate the theory, consider from a different perspective, and completely reprocess the thoughts, to come up with a new simplified narrative. That is a huge part of the learning process for them.
Its a win win!

pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So yes a couple of things. Lasse is right (for once). Mel Krieger introduced the haul as being “downup” one word. No doubt because the people he was teaching were failing to put the hand back up again, and the line carry would have undoubtedly been short. Stick 60’ or more of line in the air and it’s a different matter. The issue however is that many people have ingrained “downup”. Some people manage this problem with a more circular hand movement incidentally, but as James suggests, I also think a better way is to hold the end of the haul position fractionally hence “down-and-up”!!

It’s very clear here:

So the other thing is you don’t want to start the overall forward cast (170), at loop straight. The beginning of the overall stroke is Slide, by which I mean we are repositioning the rod by running it along the rod leg while the loop is unrolling. If you’re were to wait until Loop Straight you will definitely create slack in the repositioning move. So the idea is to get into your forward Casting Stroke starting position while the loop is unrolling, and then slightly after this, to get the line moving in this direction, building up to your Launch.

I take that opportunity during Slide to reposition the rod hand in front of the line hand. We are making weight shift while the loop is unrolling. However the more usual timing fault in my experience of teaching this, is too quick and not too slow.

One exercise is to drop the line on the backcast, reposition the body and rod, and cast off the ground. This is a good way of solving problems, and seeing if the transition is the problem. It also just helps to slow you down.

There is quite a lot in the above, but I would just spend a couple of weeks working on the haul. I think the cast is built around the haul.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

I was planning to film my self for the first time. Searched for video here and voilá –useful advice. THX!

And now I must find my best trousers for this event. As this reading left me with almost no time for practice 😂

Cheers from Stockholm.
Johan
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cud-Qfht ... BiNWFlZA==

Inception kinda footage, but shows my setup :)

Cheers
Lasse

whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

It would be great to see some other videos up from people trying to improve,Johan trousers are optional !

Just like to say Thankyou all for all the words of advice and encouragement, I gave it a rest yesterday,, could feel the elbow twinge and thought I’m not going there again!’

Hopefully tomorrow me and Das Boot can get back out there again!
Thanks guys
Pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Do you remember the Goodies with Big Foot?
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

Hej Lasse,

Great background. This really caught my eye. Using a wall. I live in central Stockholm and we have many walls here. The parking lots of malls and offices will be worth exploring. I looked in to your instagram using your link. Yesterday I used my DSLR. A phone can often create better slow motion. I will look for a phone attachment.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Johan

For different clips, my vimeo account is better :blush:

And yes, a adapter for a smartphone is a really good buy when wanting to film :)

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Photography”