PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Filming yourself casting

Moderator: JanMan

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Filming yourself casting

Post by Paul Arden »

Very nice!! :pirate:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Hi Chris,

I still think you're in too much of a rush to feed back the hauling hand in the back cast. Take a look at this picture:
fp146_1.jpg
You should be able to hold a 'pose' like this long enough for a photo to be taken etc. I think slowing things down and checking you're in position before you proceed into the forward cast may help.

James.
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Is that what’s known as Vogueing ( strike a pose! Madonna) I will definitely give it a go that will be my mind set along with sorting the mother flipping hauling out. . Been practicing really slow!

Any small things to get on me the champagne side of 120’ !!
Thanks for advice

(I was thinking James it’s not quite a year since you saw me struggling at the game fair when I was barely past 70’ and struggling to control loops. It’s been a long year of learning those extra 6 inches would be sweet but a crisp rod leg and stacked loop, even sweeter) .
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
James9118

Post by James9118 »

whinging pom wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:58 am Is that what’s known as Vogueing ( strike a pose! Madonna) I will definitely give it a go that will be my mind set along with sorting the mother flipping hauling out. . Been practicing really slow!

Any small things to get on me the champagne side of 120’ !!
Thanks for advice

(I was thinking James it’s not quite a year since you saw me struggling at the game fair when I was barely past 70’ and struggling to control loops. It’s been a long year of learning those extra 6 inches would be sweet but a crisp rod leg and stacked loop, even sweeter) .
I should probably explain why that pause (pose) is important. With the '170' cast there is a degree of slack that is placed in the rod-leg due to the path that the tip takes. This slack is then pulled taut by the momentum (change) of the fly leg acting against the rod tip, hence the fly casting pixies morph the line up into a lovely tight loop. If, however, you immediately feed slack (i.e. return your hauling hand) into the slack that's already there, then those same pixies will punish you for making them work harder. So I'd say haul, admire your back-cast (in the straight arm pose) and then feed the line hand back.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep. Down-and-up. Historically it’s not very well taught.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

James9118 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:10 am I'd say haul, admire your back-cast (in the straight arm pose) and then feed the line hand back.

James
Aaahaas eureka moment !!! :yeahhh: … I think :???:
I was definitely feeling a good tug really pronounced, but taking that as a cue to start sliding the rod forward into the forward cast and the holding hand to sort of meet up somewhere in the process.
They are sequential, not combined actions ?!!! Doh!

No wonder the pixies are confused and grumpy .

So I guess instead of starting to create tension at the beginning of the forward cast I’m actually choking it, by feeding the line hand back to meet the rod hand as it’s coming through toward my shoulder
I’m taking the wind out of those little pixies sails so to speak

(How surreal This feels like talking about posi-faires and anti-faeries with Paul Dirac. ThNk you for dragging casting science down to my level🤣 appreciate it!….. and needed it)

Mr Arden sir ,, I don’t understand your post im
Afraid, read it a few times and I can’t fathom it
Thanks
Pom

alanj

Post by alanj »

I don’t understand your post im
Afraid, read it a few times and I can’t fathom it
Phew - I find that applies to 90% of the posts here, for me anyway.
Really like the Pixies being given some love, very Pratchett.
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Alan
One thing about Sexyloops I ve found is it’s not excluding . The nature and level of discussion is what it is, but never feel you can’t, speak up and say you’re trying to understand and have lost the plot!

I’ve found people very patient with this particular Duffer when I’ve done that ! It’s a very welcoming and inclusive place.

Personally if I have a question or thought I stick to the beginners board. It’s my level and the answers are pitched to that.
The fact the a respected physicist and casting guru had engaged with me about Pixies just shows how inclusive it is. People generally here want to be helpful, Paul steers a very egalitarian ship.
Best
Pom

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Pom, Paul is most likely refering to the haul being taught as

Downup... and thats where most are stuck
What is needed is down... admire that beaut.... up...

Here's a good example of why:

Imagine Anna feeding back when the pixies are trying to lift that line of the ground? Poor things..

Cheers
Lasse

Paul's more like Jack Sparrow...
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
alanj

Post by alanj »

Hi Pom, Yes I'm happy to ask daft questions and make an idiot of myself. Just wish I could understand more of some of the discussions. I should stay in the Beginners section but use the Unread Posts Quicklink so never really sure where i am. lol BTW were you at Doddleston the other week?

Lasse, Looking at that it seems that Anna starts the forward cast to bring the rod closer to her hauling hand rather than feeding back, at least on her false casts, not the final release. The bloke in the background does seem to pause then feed but doesn't have the same pose.
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:

Return to “Photography”