PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Stockholm Sweden – Ankara Turkey

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Johan
Answers: 0

Stockholm Sweden – Ankara Turkey

Post by Johan »

Hi, I’m an industrial designer, who took up fly fishing in 1991.
In 2003 I got involved in prototyping and ideation for Loop tackle.rods and reels. Göran Andersson, a co founder of Loop tackle and expert fly caster taught me to be very particular about my grip and he corrected some of my worst casting errors. In those years I lived on the Baltic coast at the southernmost tip of Sweden. Here I did a lot of sea trout fishing in the gales. It’s always very windy down there.
I made many fishing trips to the north with my old friend, his dogs and a roomy canvas tipi tent full of mosquitoes. The fishing is focused on grayling, trout, sea trout and salmon – depending on what water you're at.

Mr Pelle Klippinge, the author of many fishing books, countless articles and instructor/guide at the Emån river (famous for the world’s largest sea trout). 20 years ago Pelle opened up my eyes to the actual cast. Underhand casting and two handed was my ticket to become more interested in the cast. I found it to be a lot of fun and since I always strive for developing my casts. This also helped feeding money in to the sports fishing industry. Soon I started cutting my lines and tying my leaders.

I live partially in Turkey but I’m still struggling with fishing there. The trouts of Bolu are famous and it’s not too far. Must find out how and where. Sports fishing in Turkey is very under developed. Trabzon is a place we go to because of my wives family, there must be good fishing here. The mountains are +2500m and there are creeks every were. But where to start? How not to get shot? Avoiding being slain by their infamous Kangal sheep guarding dogs? Mugla county in the sough must be great for beach fishing in the right season. I have friends that caught dolphin fish and juvenile swordfish from the beach.

For many years my sources of inspiration and insight has been the Sexyloops and Global Fly fisher websites. The rise of the Youtube channels – not to forget.

In the summer of 2022 I suddenly said to my self. We have to throw longer over head casts. This will do good. I set a 100 ft goal. Took my old Loop Salt 8´8 #7 and a matching barstool 14 meter head saltwater line and started hammering. A couple of months later I was repeatedly near the 100-mark and suddenly this was passed more than once.
Now I’m ready to set new goals. I just joined the Swedish Casting federation. Now looking forward for developing my skills along with this community. How fun!
Graeme H

Re: Stockholm Sweden – Ankara Turkey

Post by Graeme H »

Welcome aboard Johan.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Johan

Post by Johan »

Thank you Graeme.

Perth. This is so far from home that Google Maps wouldn't calculate any other means of transport but airplane. Ships are strangely not included.
Roger Osborne is an Eastern Australian Youtuber i follow. I understand he's trying to put together a community somewhat like Saltstrong in the SE of the US. I hope Rogers vision is sound and successful. Do you have any idea about this? I need something like this for Turkey. Fishing here is very undeveloped.

Cheers,
Johan
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Johan

Welcome to Sexyloops!

Cheers from western Denmark

Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Johan,

Not getting shot or eaten by dogs would be high on my priority too! Wonderful however to be on an undeveloped fishery. And a unique species of trout too? Or at least that’s what I find on the Net.

Welcome to the Board. Sounds like an interesting life, work and fishing! Were you affected by the earthquake?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

Hi Paul,

In the mountainous region of Bolu, between Ankara and Istanbul, there is a unique species of trout and the area is full of bear and wolves. So I feel at home, and weary. Bear is more dangerous. To the north east of Turkey there must be unique trout too. If you make a web image search for Sumela monastery you get a feel for the scenic landscape. Potentially great places here. My wives relatives stay the summers far up this valley, going there we pass just int front of Sumela and continue some 2000m altitude above the abandoned monastery. There are interesting fishing spots here and there in the lower parts of the landscape. I need to have some fishing quality time there. Easier said than done. Must try harder. If you search the web, try Kangal too. This massive bread of dog was used by the sultans for guard dogs. The shepherds learnt about them and now they are everywhere. Notoriously aggressive to intruders. The long spike collars they carry save them from wolves as they go for the dogs throat. I have been warned many times not to get in to their proximity.

This earthquake didn't shake our home in Turkey. But we have friends in one of the worst areas "Hatay". Thankfully still with us.

Is it safe where you keep your boats? One of them sure looks like a house boat and even a bay can be tormented by tropical weather.

Cheers,
Johan
Johan

Post by Johan »

Hi Bendix,

Thank you! How nice to be greeted by members. So welcoming. This goes for Paul too, he did just the same and I forgot to say thank him :)
West Denmark? My mothers family origins from Varde. Are you living in this region?

Is the sea trout fishing good in your area?

Cheers,
Johan
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi again Johan

What a funny coincidence… I live in Varde, and have lived there for all my life! Small world…

There’s no coastal fishing for Seatrout here, you have to go to the east coast for that. And that’s a minimum of one hour by car, usually more.
We have some world class Salmon fishing in the Varde river though! And when summer comes, there will be a few Seatrout in the river as well. And then there’s the odd chance of a nice Brown Trout in the tributaries of the Varde river during the warmer months…

The Salmon season begins on April 16… So it’s not long now… Can’t wait!!!

Cheers
Bendix
Johan

Post by Johan »

11 days left for the season. I hope you will have a great season! How is the salmon fishing there? Is it a healthy and thriving stock of salmon? In my region it's almost game over.

My grand fathers family roots are in Varde. https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_Kampmann I have been there once but this was long ago. The towns of the south west are really pretty.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I try to park the boats in sheltered bays but occasionally get caught out. The issue is that storms are upon you very quickly and you have no idea how strong they are going to be. I do like them though :)

That monastery looks amazing. And yes the dogs look worrying. What is the fishing access like? Can you simply follow any river?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”