PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Greenland

Moderator: Paul Arden

onyxweb
Answers: 0

Greenland

Post by onyxweb »

Hi All,

Long time, no see! Life, t'ah!

Anybody have any recommendadtions about FF in Greenland?

I'm leaving from the North of England, so not quite sure if its best to go via Keflavik or Copenhagen. (I know an overnight will be necessary, so where are we likely to get into least trouble ;-))

Also - what's the season? I've read mid-July to September, but is it a bit risky leaving it to September, in terms of weather?

Any tips gratefull received.

Thanks,

Bass
Bendix
Answers: 0

Re: Greenland

Post by Bendix »

Hi

Greenland is a really big place! So it depends a lot on where exactly you will be on this gigantic island…

I was there myself back in August 2012, and fished a river a long way south of Sisimiut, and we had to sail by boat for about 4 hours to get there. This river was filled to the brim with sea run Arctic Char, and they were very willing to take a fly. This was both streamers and foam flies on the surface. I used a 9’ #6 rod with a floating line for this.
But the bad news is, that as far as I know, this river (and others) are only accessible if you book the fishing through a travel agency. I booked my trip with a company called Getaway Tours, and they usually have a waiting list of a year or two…

There are other rivers with Arctic Char, but they are hard to get to. You have to book a local guy that can sail you there, and pick you up again. And this can be really difficult… Plus, in many of the rivers, the Char are very small, something like 20-30cm. The best rivers, where the Char are big, are usually only accessible through a travel agent, or they are very far away from from civilization, and therefore basically impossible to get to…
And Also, as far as I know, the season for the sea run Char, is from June to August, which means that you are there a bit too early… But I might be wrong about this.

Other than that, there is apparently fantastic sea fishing for giant Cod in Greenland, but this is obviously not fly fishing… And again, you have to find a knowledgeable local guy, that has a boat, so you can get to where the Cod are.

But this is just what I know about fishing in Greenland. Others here might know something that I don’t. Hopefully someone does!

Cheers, Bendix

Return to “Flyfishing”