PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Which line weight for a multi rated rod?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

RSalar
Answers: 0

Re: Which line weight for a multi rated rod?

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:40 am Otherwise as Bendix says back then it was a DT7 or WF8.

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul,

Why do you think this? WF vs DT ... As you know all fly rods can handle a variety of fly line weights. Some of the old rod makers would specify a range of line weights ... like 6, 7, and 8. I don't know why this range would mean anything about the fly line taper -- My understanding is that it's just the weight of the first 30 feet, regardless of taper. Help me understand.

Hope all is well,

Ron
FFI - CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

6, 7, 8 was DT6, WF7, ST8.

Personally I don’t like using heavier lines when going from DT to WF because most of my fishing is at close range and having a heavier line I find a disadvantage when it comes to stealth and sensitivity.

However when it comes to all out fishing distance then I would agree with the above formula as a general guide.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:49 am 6, 7, 8 was DT6, WF7, ST8.

Personally I don’t like using heavier lines when going from DT to WF because most of my fishing is at close range and having a heavier line I find a disadvantage when it comes to stealth and sensitivity.

However when it comes to all out fishing distance then I would agree with the above formula as a general guide.

Cheers, Paul
Was? When was it and who said it? As far as I know the AFTMA doesn't (and didn't) say anything about line taper -- just weight. Cheers, Ron
FFI - CCI
RSalar

Post by RSalar »

"Furthermore, every 5 weight line, regardless of the taper style is the same weight. All these lines weigh the same: WF5F, WF5S, WF5I, WF5F/S, L5F, L5S, L5I, L5F/S, DT5F, DT5S, DT5I, DT5 F/S, SH5F, SH5S, SH5I, etc. A 5 is a 5 is a 5. A 5 by any other name is still a 5. That’s the beauty of the system. If one owns a 5-weight rod, that it will properly handle any 5-weight line, regardless of taper or density."

Source:

https://www.garyborger.com/2009/12/27/modern-fly-lines/
FFI - CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

What is a 5 wt rod Ron?

That's the premise of this thread. There's a standard for lines but not one for rods. The question is what line to put on a rod that has two line weights on the label.
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s been like this ever since I’ve been aware of it. Single line ratings on rods came from the States. My first US manufactured rod was a Loomis IMX a little over 30 years ago. That was the first rod I had with a singular line rating.

Steve Parton used to rate lines for Shakespeare and other companies over a very long period.

https://www.sexyloops.com/sparton/rodrating.shtml
So most of the markings you wind up putting on a rod reflect this - the higher rating is effectively the main rod rating and it is for a Forward Taper; the lower rating is conventionally for either heavy winds or a Double Tapered line. If you want to use shooting heads the practical rule of thumb is one AFTM up from the highest stated rating and a 33' (10 metre) head cut out of the end of a double taper.
“Heavy winds” is interesting and something Lefty used to argue. I’m not sure everyone will agree with that.

But certainly in the UK when a rod had two numbers eg 5/6 everyone knew it was DT5 and WF6. No doubt because “feel matters” :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Then there was Peter MacKenzie Philp's famous 10 footer rated on the rod AFTM5# - 9# on the grounds it would load with a vast amount of 5# or a bit of 9# and which was in any event actually wrongly rated because it needed at least a WF10# to put a bend in!
:D :D :D
I do miss Steve’s writing.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

AFFTA standard measures at 30 feet.
A 5 weight DT weighs more at 60 feet than a 5 weight WF at 60 feet which has a headlength of 45 feet, and a 5 weight shootinghead at 60 feet which is 30 feet long. Common sense one would think :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
George C

Post by George C »

How rods are actually rated.
“Oh Dearrrrrrr,……does this line make my rod look soft ? “
VGB

Post by VGB »

Worth a read but I don’t buy into the stress charts:

http://www.carlinbamboo.com/essays/wfdt.htm
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Tackle”