PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

A Casting Comp for Everyone

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: A Casting Comp for Everyone

Post by John Waters »

Hi Chris,

I think the start is what do we want it to be in 12 months, 2 years etc. Your casting initiative in Geelong in last 12 months is excellent. Unfortunately I was only able to make it on one day but had a ball and talking to others who attend, everyone is the same. I’ll try and get to the knockout comp on Sunday and we can discuss a few options. If not I’ll come to Geelong next week and see you at CA. Got your email about gear and we can talk about that too. We need to reward the new and less experienced casters and have the results reflect individual improvement, not the longest cast or highest accuracy score by the winner.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Many of the best competitions involved just me and one other person, Chris. But the competitions were only a small part of the day. It was really about casting and trying as much gear as possible. But we made sure that everyone cast. Just going along and watching wasn’t allowed :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Paul,
Yes, often the one on one cast can be the most enjoyable and where we can learn a lot especially when there is a lot of gear to play with/compare.

John,
Really appreciate the kind words in regards to our little casting group. As for what we want it to be in 12 months or two years I am unsure. I like to let things grow organically and become whatever they will become. Get in, get started and work it out as you go along, that's how I like to go. As for rewarding new or less experienced casters I definitely agree that there needs to be an element that keeps them interested, encouraged and rewarded. That being said there also needs to be something challenging enough to keep the higher level casters keen to make an appearance. We have a distance casting day set for Sun June 11th and I would love to see some distance fly casting at that but would also like to make it inclusive to those that cannot turn up in person. The BFCC comp being held this Sunday has a virtual element and I'm hoping to learn ways to incorporate something into our monthly get together. I look forward to discussing further when we can catch up in person.

Cheers
Chris
James9118

Post by James9118 »

ChrisBaty wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 10:24 pm James,

Sorry, a couple more for you. Do we need to send a video of the cast for the BFCC event? I’ve seen this on other virtual comps. Also it seems you are casting quite a few events on the day, what events are open for the virtual entrants? Lastly is there a need to register as such or just send in details of the distances etc?

Thanks again, sounds interesting.
Hi Chris,

Yes please video the entry. If you're on your own this is hard to do because of the measuring aspect - in this case we give the casters 6 casts (which is similar to what a caster would do in 3 minutes). For this just send the video of the cast and the measure. If you have a marker then you can cast for the time as per the live event.

You can virtually enter any of the 7 events on the day assuming you have tackle that meets the rules - the rules are on the website.

There's no need to pre-register - just send in the results/videos.

Have fun, James.
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Thanks James,

I should have someone with me. So if I have a camera filming side on as I cast can the other person simply put a marker down where the fly lands moving it if a longe cat is made and at the end of three minutes we walk the camera up to the marker? Do I have that correct? If the MED arrives in time (it was supposed to ship Monday but only left today) I will have that and then my mate that is coming along has a T38 setup I believe. Hopefully I may be able to get a couple of others to measure a few casts also, I’ll be the weak link in the group but I might as well start measuring when I first begin. Thanks for the info, I’ll read the rules and make sure our gear is in line with that.

Cheers
Chris
alanj

Post by alanj »

Chris,
Have a look at some of Nicks videos. e.g. which shows him casting and then measuring.
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
ChrisBaty

Post by ChrisBaty »

Thanks Alan,

Makes sense. I was more wondering if you had someone with you if they could simply mark the longest cast and after your 3 min of casting you walked down the tape to that marker?

Regards
Chris
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Chris
I wrote to Bernt Johansson and he will try to find a program he designed for virtual comp entry.
There were two types.
- the first one was set as a couple different events, where you casted, and had the result written in the virtual comp panel, and it also included name of your witness. No video needed. And as many entries as you wanted over the period of 3 weeks

- the second one ran also for 3 weeks and you could cast as much as you wanted, whenever you wanted and post the video of the longest cast. If you cast for 2-3h and you recorded the entire session, choose longest cast , where you walk down the tape and show us your distance
( you should walk every cast that seem long for you, because 100 next ones might be shorter).
Upload the short video on YouTube, or Vimeo and post on the virtual comp panel. The placing would change automatically ( I think)

With BFCC I'm not sure if I'm right, but it might be longish video, as you have 6 casts and you would have to walk along the tape and show results of 6 casts. Obviously not taking the whole morning, or afternoon, but still.
James please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
Mike
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 12:42 pm
With BFCC I'm not sure if I'm right, but it might be longish video, as you have 6 casts and you would have to walk along the tape and show results of 6 casts. Obviously not taking the whole morning, or afternoon, but still.
James please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers
Mike
For the BFCC virtual you only need to post the video of the longest cast if you're taking 6. Obviously we're taking on trust that you've only had 6 casts and not stood there all day until you've nailed one.

James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

This is my entry into the bfcc virtual comp 2 years ago.

Its an easy way to do it if you're alone, if you have someone to mark for you, its easier, and you can get the adrenaline rush of casting on the timer.

Here's another bfcc virtual comp.

Cheers
Lasse

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Casting Sport”