PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Haul direction

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

tigfly
Answers: 0

Haul direction

Post by tigfly »

I have always done the double haul in an up and down motion. Paul's video on hauling forward and back rather than up and down really changed my casting. I got a definite increase in line speed, but the biggest change for me was that I no longer throw tailing loops when reaching for distance. I am guessing that the new (to me) haul has sharpened my timing. I can really feel the haul as an integral part of the cast and not just an addition to the cast, if that makes any sense. Thanks for the video Paul!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Haul direction

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great Glenn!

Interesting; when I sped up the haul I started throwing tailing loops every cast :D I remember I was driving across the States at the time, on a two and a half day drive, thinking about casting. I kept getting ideas and having to stop in rest areas. I worked out how to speed up my haul, from the elbow, and all of a sudden tails. Carried on driving, realised it must be that the haul was finishing too soon. Next rest area I started hauling later in the stroke and fixed it. Totally transformed my cast.
I can really feel the haul as an integral part of the cast and not just an addition to the cast,
Absolutely!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

tigfly wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 pm I am guessing that the new (to me) haul has sharpened my timing. I can really feel the haul as an integral part of the cast and not just an addition to the cast, if that makes any sense.
There's a good chance that the earlier haul method was producing a haul that finished too early on the longest casts, allowing the rod to begin straightening before you wanted it to. That often makes a concave tip path, leading to a tail.

The new haul has a longer stroke, so without changing the timing of the haul initiation, you're now finishing the haul later. That eliminates the undesirable tip path.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
tigfly

Post by tigfly »

That up/down haul that I was using was so short that I was doing exactly what you mentioned. The haul was in the middle of the forward stroke rather than at the end. I definitely feel now that the haul comes much later in the stroke. Just a revelation to feel the smooth increase in line speed at the end.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree with Graeme. The other possibility is the rod hand introducing slack at the beginning of the stroke. We commonly see both these things occurring in the same stroke.

If you slow everything right down and haul through the “stop”, you can feel the resistance against the haul suddenly disappearing during the haul. This is Rod Straight Position as the rod goes into counterflex.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:35 am The other possibility is the rod hand introducing slack at the beginning of the stroke.
Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul
I’m having trouble visualizing this.
Can it occur when the line is held against the grip instead of in the line hand?
Or are you just describing ‘pushing slack’ into the system as the rod is moved forward against a stationary line hand ?
Thanks,G
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yes the second part (although it is not always stationary and can even be moving up with some casters – timing fault!). Particularly if there is friction against the rod face. There are two things here. One is to rotate the body at the beginning of the forward cast so that the rod hand is in front of the line hand, and the second is to twist the top three sections so that the rings are out by 45 degrees (it’s also possible to twist them in by 90 as some do, but then the stroke really needs to be vertical).

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Sorry... maybe its because I have not had my morning cup of coffee yet, but...

Why would extra friction in the rod, whether being "against the rod face" or just in the guides, add slack?

Where does it add the "slack"?

BTW... does anyone else suspect that snake guides are "handed"? As in they add more friction depending upon which hand is the rod hand and how the guides were wrapped?

I better get that cup of coffee. :upside:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:19 pm
BTW... does anyone else suspect that snake guides are "handed"? As in they add more friction depending upon which hand is the rod hand and how the guides were wrapped?
Yes, and that’s why I never build rods with them.

Well, it’s one of the reasons.
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

If the rod hand is moving towards the line hand, and the line is running along the blank, absolutely it will (or most likely will) create slack between the stripping guide and the line hand.

I believe that US and UK snakes have different directions, at least historically. I can’t remember why I know that. Don’t know about difference in friction depending on direction.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”