PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

When to replace grooved rings?

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Rickard
Answers: 0

When to replace grooved rings?

Post by Rickard »

How does one know when it is time to replace rod rings that has started to show wear?
Lasse Karlsson

Re: When to replace grooved rings?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

When they start to show wear!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The tip ring usually goes first. It’s very easy to replace. And can be done very carefully with a cigarette lighter and some forceps. If you are fast and nimble you might not even need epoxy.

The other rings are more complicated. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:22 pm When they start to show wear!

Cheers
Lasse
:yeahhh:

Yep, this ....
FFi CCI
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:22 pm When they start to show wear!

Cheers
Lasse
It figures. :glare:
Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:15 am The tip ring usually goes first. It’s very easy to replace. And can be done very carefully with a cigarette lighter and some forceps. If you are fast and nimble you might not even need epoxy.

The other rings are more complicated. :)

Cheers, Paul
It might just be the tip. I have to do a more thorough inspection.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Drag a piece of old nylon stocking or tights through each guide, Paul sells his old pairs on eBay just for this 😂. If they catch going through the guide, there’s an issue. If it happens, I might replace all the guides just in case the others are on their way out but as mentioned, the tip top usually goes first.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You can also take a phone of the rod tip and zoom in. The iPhone has a zoom button for reading incredibly small print on packages that they don’t want you to read, but have to put there legally. Or maybe my eyesight is just getting substantially worse :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Be careful with a cigarette lighter and a fly rod tip.
Butane burns hot. Hot enough to very quickly melt the resin binding graphite fibers. It will re-solidify but break easily thereafter. I've ruined even large surf rods removing tips with a lighter in spite of knowing better and thinking I could get away with it.
You are better to use a candle or match.
Apply the heat momentarily while rotating the tip section. Keep testing and reapplying momentary heat until the glue releases. Most tips are put on with thermal glue and will come free at a temperature that is below the melting point of the blank/resin.

Rewrapping guides is also easy, particularly if cosmetics and resale value are not considerations. Remove the old guide by cutting through the epoxy and thread along the top of the guide foot, twist the guide off, then catch the end of the remaining thread and unravel it. It will lift the epoxy as it goes (watch your eyes as chips fly off surprisingly fast). Remove any further epoxy by softening it with a brief (few seconds) application of heat (again go easy, I buckled a sage blank once by rushing things and overheating it) then scraping it off with a fingernail or old credit card edge. Any remaining dullness with thread impression is probably color preserver. Latex remover and a rough rag will take this off. To wrap on the new guide and epoxy it just check out youtube or a rod building supply like Mudhole.
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

It might be time to get going with rewrapping the rod. I miss it.
I think I will just replace the snake rings with snakes of the same size.
Any pointers for getting good alignment on the rings when wrapping them?
George C

Post by George C »

Provided you haven’t gone crazy with thread tension you should be able to move the guides a bit to get the alignment straight after they are wrapped but before epoxy.

When re-wrapping a rod you often can see where the guide feet were previously located.

Return to “Tackle”