PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

When 10?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Johan
Answers: 0

When 10?

Post by Johan »

Today I'm practicing distance casting with a #5 MED and a faster 7 rod.
When is it meaningful to start practicing with a higher class rod?
bartdezwaan

Re: When 10?

Post by bartdezwaan »

Hi Johan,
I think it is only sensible when you are consistent in your performance. Only than you tell if there is a difference in distance. And you have to give it some time to get used to.

Cheers, Bart
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hello Johan,
Try both rods and see which allows you to carry more line during false casting. Try this in no wind, medium wind and strong wind.
Every new rod will ask for some time to get used to it when it comes to max possible results. The one you use most usually is best (as Lasse once said).
I would start straight away.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:06 amThe one you use most usually is best (as Lasse once said).
I'm fairly sure that he said it more than once :D :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Johan,

It’s not a bad thing to play with at any level. Be careful however, if you feel discomfort in the elbow then use a softer rod. Some 10s are very rigid in the lower half of the rod, which can put stress on the elbow and give you a nasty case of Tennis Elbow, which can take months to undo.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:42 am
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:06 amThe one you use most usually is best (as Lasse once said).
I'm fairly sure that he said it more than once :D :D
I know for sure, that I have repeated it many times since it was spot-on. 😁
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:44 am Some 10s are very rigid in the lower half of the rod, which can put stress on the elbow and give you a nasty case of Tennis Elbow, which can take months to undo.
Good point. I add: start with short sessions. The moment pain arrives often things are too late already.
Cheers
B
Johan

Post by Johan »

Thank you for all the answers!
They all "speak the same language", a nice harmony. Thank you, this is very helpful.

I will go for it.
And I will be careful not to pick up a "Tennis inflammation". I tried this already. Really really bad pains.

The rod I use mostly will be the best. This is so funny.
We adapt to our tools to the point we sometimes even fool ourselves. Sometimes is an understatement –ask me.

This brings me on to the next difficult step. Choosing one.
Good enough to help me level a few steps. Without robbing my little sister.

HP10. My friend @piffilus has one. I tried it and sure it demands some time getting used to. This is of course tru for all big changes of equipment. Now I will explore my alternatives. Building (putting one together) would be fun. But what blanks to go for? Without involving my little sisters savings.

Have a great day!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

The “rod that we use most” didn’t apply to me Johan. The first time I cast a 10WT it cast 2m further.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

2 meters is a lot! But then maybe you were accustomed to a #5/#10 setup? For me it was the first time. A pure virgin to this. I laughed at myself.

The HT10 has great reputation. Actually I red carefully about all your rods. They do catch my attention. I would love to test your HT Pro #5 9'. I look for a successor for my old workhorse, my 25 year old Orvis Trident #5 9'. Testing is virtually impossible. Do you have a return policy for purchases made in the EU/Spain?

Return to “Flycasting”