PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

When 10?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: When 10?

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I'm not evading anything, everyone there cast that HT6 the shortest, because the only one using something as soft as a TCR590 was you :D

What noone else there got, was a significant longer cast on their longest. Everything was within expected deviation anyway.
Local records are rarely an indicator of limits...

And you missed that I agree on the counterflex part ;)

I don't think dropping to a rod that says 8 on it, from the one that says 9 that I use would do much, I choose the 9 over the 8 because of backwind for me, and I am not very good. Last summer I cast with Ulrik for a couple of evenings here in CPH, he beat me with something like 5 meters in good conditions using a much much stiffer rod than me. I beat him at the WC because he had headwind and I had no wind, and we where both so far from the final that it still tastes crap. Haven't cast distance since :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Your Essential Level.PDF is our primary bait for attracting members to the lawn. I hope you don't mind?
That’s wonderful Johan! There is an HT5 in Stockholm. Rickard has one. It might be possible to have a test cast and make a new friend! He also has an HT7. Be careful :D

I’m just heading to bed but I can put you guys in contact tomorrow if you like. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

One reason I think dropping to a slightly softer rod than the 10 might help in a hurricane, Lasse, is because of my experiences with a 12. I think there is more stability in the loop, which may be part of it, but also there is more room for error.

I’m not talking about increasing carry. I’m assuming that we position the head at the top of the loop in all cases.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I am already throwing a softer rod than a "10" :)

And I say it differs with personal preference, like so much else. Thats why I brought up me casting with Ulrik. He was trying out the stiffest rods I had...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Johan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:44 pm
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:33 pm Sure a complete refund if you are not completely ecstatic :D Where are you based again?
Based
My hometown is Stockholm. By the way. I'm friends with Joakim Hammenstig "Piffen" and together we are trying to spark interest in Stockholm for Casting and the Sexyloops Flycasting Challenge. Your Essential Level.PDF is our primary bait for attracting members to the lawn. I hope you don't mind?
Our fishing club is www.esfk.se

Ecstatic
Completely ecstatic. This is a genius promise to the market. I will remember this. When things go my way I'd love to treat myself with one of these. The HT pedigree thrills me more than that of any other brand label.

First
But first things first, there is a big hole that has to be filled in my single handed arsenal above #7.
The HT5 is brilliant.
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:36 pm
Your Essential Level.PDF is our primary bait for attracting members to the lawn. I hope you don't mind?
That’s wonderful Johan! There is an HT5 in Stockholm. Rickard has one. It might be possible to have a test cast and make a new friend! He also has an HT7. Be careful :D

I’m just heading to bed but I can put you guys in contact tomorrow if you like. :)

Cheers, Paul
There might be a HT5 in Stockholm also but I’m in Gothenburg. In Gothenburg and the surrounding area I can help out with a test of the 5 and 7. :)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah!! Only 500km away :D

Flycasting Definitions
Johan

Post by Johan »

I'd love to get in touch with Rickard!
Rickard is now in the thread (thanks Paul) and I will try to get to him on the phone. It would be fun to make a new friend. I will try to send a direct message if possible.

Sorry for my late reply. I was out float angling with a whip for tench. Elusive fish, but there was many chatty ones dressed in bikinis on my jetty so I forgot about time. In April a friend taught me about angling. I thought I could learn from this and maybe even improve my fly fishing. Hook sizes used are usually 12 – 14. Thin. 0,18 for tippet. Fish caught on this are up to 5kg. If not more.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Rickard!

I live in Gothenburg and would love to try out the rods. Particularly the 7. Nice to see another "Göteborgare" here by the way!

Cheers Thomas
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Lasse,
Fair points. According to my observation most students were able to control tighter loops on the stiffer rods to then get them unrolled better into the wind. Controlling this on the softer rods ime asks for more.

Hi Paul,
Your max carry is independent of stiffness within (lets say) ERN 5 to 12?
That would surprise me.
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Flycasting”