PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

When 10?

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: When 10?

Post by Paul Arden »

If anyone would like me to put you guys in contact you can WhatsApp me on +60198549552 I can see a Sexyloops meet happening :) We should definitely try to meet up next year when I’m in Sweden for the WCs.

Hi Bernd,

max carry varies but 12 isn’t it! But it’s about optimal carry which is related to the head length. For me that’s positioning the head at the top of the loop at MCF plus up to 4 feet. So that’s 88’6-92’6 last time I measured my optimal carry point here.

At sea level I used to regularly measure my max carry with HT6/MED5 at ~95’. (At 1000m elevation it is 105’). Last time I measured max comfortable carry with the HT10 it was 93’6”. I don’t think that carry is longer with the HT6 but it is actually possible since there is more counterflex and often carry tops out when the loop becomes too unstable. (The stiffer rod has less counterflex, so the same carry length will have more running line at the top of the loop = more instability).

Max carry is very much dominated by head length, and how much overhang still gives us loop stability.

The results might be different with a longer head of course. I do have a 97’ DT6 lumiline that I can carry to the knot. I can do that with HT6&7. I haven’t tried the others, that would be interesting but my 10&12 are currently in the UK.

What we really need is longer heads or longer DTs to test. Irrespective of that, with the MED5 we can hit optimal carry with 6-10WT no problems. I do find it harder with the 12, especially if there is any wind.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Hi Paul,

Have you heard of the fly lines that Steve Parkes is making under the name 'Celestial'? His true to weight #5 line has a 73ft head. The first time I cast this I thought I'd measure my (very) comfortable carry - it was 89ft. That's up from where I'm comfortable with the MED.

James
Johan

Post by Johan »

Paul. I just sent you a WatsApp message 🍀
alanj

Post by alanj »

James, where do you find Celestial? Can't find a website for them.
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James, yep and I’m quite sure. Another 5’ sounds about right.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

alanj wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:50 am James, where do you find Celestial? Can't find a website for them.
Hi Alan - Facebook only at the moment I think. Steve's only been in production a couple of months but I'm sure he's working on a website.

James
alanj

Post by alanj »

Thanks James, Guess I'll wait as I don't/won't touch Facebook.
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi Johan,

You don't have to use a #10, i won the UK trout distance with a 9' '#6' Sage Igniter and an MED5. My advice would be to try the rods you already have, make 10 casts on a relatively consistent day, and see which goes the furthest for you

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Thomas wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:13 am Hi Rickard!

I live in Gothenburg and would love to try out the rods. Particularly the 7. Nice to see another "Göteborgare" here by the way!

Cheers Thomas
I'll PM you my contact details so we can arrange something.
FishNoGeek

Post by FishNoGeek »

Hmmmmmmm. For better or worse, I'm considering the daft idea of writing a magazine article reviewing the various WF5F competition lines. If I'm being realistic, the audience for that piece is probably a grand total of like three dozen people globally, and approximately 92.3% of us are already clustered here on SexyLoops. Also, I'm barely qualified to write it. But hey, it seems like a good justification to buy a bunch of lines, and an even better excuse to go cast them - for science, you see.

Thanks for this tip about Celestial - hadn't seen them yet. I haven't quite decided whether to do just lines currently in production or attempt a comprehensive rundown of to-be and discontinued lines as well. Here's my current shortlist - what am I missing?

AVAILABLE
MED5
Ballistic Pro
Barrio GT125
Celestial

DISCONTINUED
Rio Gold Tournament Distance

PROTOTYPE
barstool Competition (supposedly coming soon)
"What gets my cast into trouble isn't what I know how to do - it's what I think I know how to do that just ain't working."
- Mark Twain

Return to “Flycasting”