PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod damping

Moderator: Torsten

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Rod damping

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I’m sensing a cover up
It’s too hot and humid here for a cover up…I’ve been damping for days now.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

WP has posted some excellent pictures from a recent Game Fair of some very good competition casters. Sorry, Pom, I’ve shamelessly purloined them and wrecked the artistic element of the originals to show the grip which I think illustrates the gap between theoretical analyses based on inaccurate assumptions and reality
IMG_1980.jpeg
IMG_1980.jpeg (44.89 KiB) Viewed 375 times
IMG_1981.jpeg
IMG_1981.jpeg (63.16 KiB) Viewed 375 times
IMG_1982.jpeg
IMG_1982.jpeg (34.54 KiB) Viewed 375 times
IMG_1983.jpeg
IMG_1983.jpeg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 375 times
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

That's the "I'm hanging on the edge of a cliff" death grip.

It delivers certain death ... :)
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Firm or relaxed grip?
IMG_1984.jpeg
IMG_1984.jpeg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 352 times
IMG_1985.jpeg
IMG_1985.jpeg (63.14 KiB) Viewed 352 times
IMG_1986.jpeg
IMG_1986.jpeg (33.92 KiB) Viewed 352 times
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Nicely relaxed. Maybe even confidently relaxed.
FFi CCI
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

A different hand profile,

John
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 4.57.19 pm.png
Screen Shot 2023-09-18 at 5.01.02 pm.png
VGB

Post by VGB »

What grip pressure are they exerting John?

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Impossible to tell Vince, but different from the open hand photos.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

With parts of the grip disengaged as I showed, you are limiting surface area contact and limiting the amount of pressure you can bring to bear.

With a closed grip as you have shown, it’s impossible to say what degree of pressure you are applying to the grip. I would suggest that your top picture is not a strong grip because the forefinger is not engaged as it would be in a pinch, crush or all round grip.

For consistency and clarity, I’m using the Longman dictionary definition:
a firm grip/hold/grasp etc - if you have something in a firm grip etc, you are holding it tightly and strongly
From an instructional point of view, a very firm grip tightens the forearm and reduces the range and fluidity of motion. Moreover, the teaching of a firm grip appears to be based upon an incorrect theoretical construct and that is how I used to cast until one of my early instructors threatened to tape my middle and ring fingers up unless I got away from the 3 white knuckles.

I don’t know how closely you followed the thread but only Lasse offered a teaching technique with his budgie, everyone else was either firm grip or we do “something” automatically. The instructosphere seems to have forgotten this learning process because for most of them it is autonomous behaviour.

As a matter of interest, how easy is it to engage your proposed flop with a firm grip, whilst braking with the forearm?

Regards

Vince

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

As a matter of interest, how easy is it to engage your proposed flop with a firm grip, whilst braking with the forearm?
Very difficult. I think the main reason we see a loose grip is for speed of the rod turnover and not damping. As I have no doubt written I don’t know anyone who is trying to actively damp a competitive distance cast. I do allow the rod butt to come cleanly inside the forearm on my delivery cast, but I don’t consider that to be “active damping”, just trying to avoid the need for it!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”