PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rod damping

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Rod damping

Post by VGB »

I think the main reason we see a loose grip is for speed of the rod turnover
So is it a fair assumption that firm grips are not common in competition, and that any damping is a happy side effect?

I don’t cast competition and my interest in damping is teaching and presentation casts, the budgie link is the best steer for teaching to date. For presentation casts speed of turnover may or may not be important depending on the cast and control over the rod leg is important.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:46 am With parts of the grip disengaged as I showed, you are limiting surface area contact and limiting the amount of pressure you can bring to bear.

With a closed grip as you have shown, it’s impossible to say what degree of pressure you are applying to the grip. I would suggest that your top picture is not a strong grip because the forefinger is not engaged as it would be in a pinch, crush or all round grip.

For consistency and clarity, I’m using the Longman dictionary definition:
a firm grip/hold/grasp etc - if you have something in a firm grip etc, you are holding it tightly and strongly
From an instructional point of view, a very firm grip tightens the forearm and reduces the range and fluidity of motion. Moreover, the teaching of a firm grip appears to be based upon an incorrect theoretical construct and that is how I used to cast until one of my early instructors threatened to tape my middle and ring fingers up unless I got away from the 3 white knuckles.

I don’t know how closely you followed the thread but only Lasse offered a teaching technique with his budgie, everyone else was either firm grip or we do “something” automatically. The instructosphere seems to have forgotten this learning process because for most of them it is autonomous behaviour.

As a matter of interest, how easy is it to engage your proposed flop with a firm grip, whilst braking with the forearm?

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince,

How the rod is held is interesting topic. I would suggest a firm grip can be achieved without holding the grip tightly and strongly as per the Longman dictionary definition, nor does all fingers and thumb need to be closed tightly around the grip. The top photo illustrates that variation with one finger not in contact with the surface. The more the index finger knuckle is used in the rod rotation, the less the index finger wraps around the grip. Neither caster uses a firm grip as per the Longman dictionary definition, but each caster has control of the rod rotation throughout their 38 gram line casting stroke. Not sure what a strong grip means. The grip in the top photo has rotated a 3 metre rod and a 38 gram line that is 16 or 17 metres long, it was strong enough to achieve that level of performance (whatever the cast measured) but the only way to test the strength of any grip would be to measure it. I think holding the grip tightly limits performance. A flailing wrist movement will not be achieved when the rod is held tightly and strongly. What you need to do to both optimise and control that flailing movement is to ensure that the rod does not twist away from the casting plane during turnover. How the rod is held in the hand delivers that control.

The other aspect of "the grip" that is really interesting in my view is how the thumb and fingers of the haul hand "grip" the line through the stroke?

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John

There are any number of definitions for “firm grip” but they are generally similar to Longmans, apart from the Urban Dictionary. I think if there’s an expression that is in common usage and generally understood, we should use it. Talking about fly casting is difficult enough without adding unnecessary complexity.

Only golf and lifting seem to define grips particularly well, I would class the lifting grips as strong, none of which resemble a fly casting grip that I would expect to see used by competent casters:

https://godsofgrip.com/pages/types-of-grip
The grip in the top photo has rotated a 3 metre rod and a 38 gram line that is 16 or 17 metres long, it was strong enough to achieve that level of performance (whatever the cast measured) but the only way to test the strength of any grip would be to measure it.
I think that we do exercise a firm grip while we overcome the initial torque and relax the grip somewhat when the rod is in motion, whilst torque is reducing and the rod accelerating. After loop formation, we may relax the grip further for damping if required before gripping the budgie to stop it flying away.
A flailing wrist movement will not be achieved when the rod is held tightly and strongly. What you need to do to both optimise and control that flailing movement is to ensure that the rod does not twist away from the casting plane during turnover. How the rod is held in the hand delivers that control.
What I think occurs during flailing movements is that the wrist is stabilised, so that there is no radial or ulnar deviation. This should not overly inhibit flexion/extension, as per a forehand and a backhand slap. This slapping motion should occur as we are relaxing our grip with reducing torque. I think that this is partly how I do short range, long leader/dry fly casts but it does leave me with a large counterflex to deal with, hence my interest in damping.

My post 144 was a bit mischievous in that if you looked at the arms of the casters in isolation, you would not expect to see such light grips. Control of the rod is being exercised with a light touch, while the wrist tendons are prominent, so some effort is being expended somewhere.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I haven’t been competing as long as John, Vince. Slightly more than two decades. In that time I can’t ever having discussed damping with another competitor.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Why would you Paul? You arrive as competent casters and are untroubled by the rod leg layout.

Regards

Vince

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Quick question...

What the heck is a budgie... and where is th link to how it helps teaching about grips?

Lost as usual :upside:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
VGB

Post by VGB »

Australian birdie, about the same size as a rod grip:

https://www.sexyloops.com/carlos/bubblewrap.shtml

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

So is it a fair assumption that firm grips are not common in competition, and that any damping is a happy side effect?
Sorry, to answer the first part, I don’t know. It’s very difficult to delay rotation with a tense grip. Where a tight grip is common, is accuracy, where we rotate through the stroke. With stiff rods I get hand cramps after about ten-fifteen minutes of comp accuracy. Whereas I can cast distance for hours without this problem. I’m certainly not alone in either either.

However none is this is about damping. The only clear thing I do to avoid excess rod vibrations is that I clear the forearm with the rod butt on a distance cast.

I just question the whole aspect of damping. Until I see otherwise I think it’s a red herring.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

That’s probably because you don’t understand it Paul, why don’t you try reading this again:

https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vi ... 020#p74408

Regards

Vince

VGB

Post by VGB »

Worth a read:

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/39/9/585
During all sporting activities our bodies interact with the external environment and experience externally applied forces. These forces induce vibrations and oscillations within the tissues of the body. Tissue vibrations can be induced from impact related events where either a part of the body or sporting equipment in contact with the body collides with an object. Examples of this are the impact shocks that are experienced through the leg when the heel strikes the ground during each running stride or the impact shock that occurs when a racquet is used to hit a ball. The initial impact causes vibrations within the soft tissues, after which the tissues continue to oscillate as a free vibration—that is, vibrating at their natural frequency, with the amplitude of these vibrations decaying because of damping within the tissues. Tissue vibrations can also be induced when the body experiences more continuous forms of vibration, such as may occur through the legs during skiing across a groomed slope or through the arms during bike riding. A continuously oscillating input force drives the soft tissue vibrations to be at the same frequency as the input force, but the amplitude of the vibrations will be greatest if the natural frequency of the tissues is close to that of the input force (resonance); however, the amplitude of these larger amplitude vibrations can be reduced by damping from the tissues. Therefore we can expect to experience soft tissue vibrations in all sporting activities, and the amplitude and frequency of these vibrations is partly determined by the natural frequency and damping characteristics of the tissues.

The body relies on a range of structures and mechanisms to regulate the transmission of impact shocks and vibrations through the body including: bone, cartilage, synovial fluids, soft tissues, joint kinematics, and muscular activity. Changes in joint kinematics and muscle activity can be controlled on a short time scale and are used by the body to change its vibration response to external forces. It has been proposed that the body has a strategy of “tuning” its muscle activity to reduce its soft tissue vibrations in an attempt to reduce such deleterious effects.8 This idea would predict that the level of muscle activity used for a particular movement task is, to some degree, dependent on the interaction between the body and the externally applied vibration forces. It has been proposed that vibrations could be used as a training aid. However, prolonged exposure to vibrations has been shown to have detrimental effects on the soft tissues, including muscle fatigue,9 reductions in motor unit firing rates and muscle contraction force,10,11 decreases in nerve conduction velocity, and attenuated perception.12

The natural frequency of a vibrating system depends on its stiffness and mass. Within the skeletal muscles, each cross bridge between the actin and myosin myofilaments generates some stiffness,13 and so the tissue stiffness (and therefore natural frequency) can be increased with increases in muscle activity. Indeed, studies have shown that increases in the natural frequency of whole muscle groups do concur with the joint torques developed by the muscle and typically range between 10 and 50 Hz for the lower extremity muscles (zero to maximal activity14). Muscles can also damp externally applied vibrations, and, indeed, more vibration energy is absorbed by activated muscle15 than by muscles in rigor,16 suggesting that the active cross bridge cycling is an important part of the damping process. Studies have shown that the damping coefficients of whole muscle groups increase with muscle activity,15,17 supporting the idea that the cross bridge mechanisms are important.[u] A maximally activated muscle can damp free vibrations so that the tissue oscillations are virtually eliminated after a couple of cycles

Return to “Flycasting Physics”