PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Teaching acceleration

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Teaching acceleration

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Reading some of the latest posts of you, Mark and Paul makes me think, that you are saying the lesson plan of Paul I linked in post #141 was a poor one ignoring how it should have been done better according to all teaching sport studies. Maybe I get this wrong, but this is my impression. 🤔😇
Pauls lesson plan simply contains “what” he is going to teach to a group. It says nothing about “how” he is going to teach it, the order he’s going to teach it in or the words he will use. My bet is he would not deliver a lesson now the way he would have done in 2008 but that’s for him to answer.

Vince’s policeman is describing a distinction made between performance and learning which is so well established in motor skills study it can be considered as bedrock.

Let’s say I have a caster rotating all the way through a roll cast delivery, wide loop, piled line. I coach for a flatter longer stroke with late rotation which the caster performs in the lesson. By your definition the caster has learned to do this. By the standard, policemans, definition, and mine, they have not, they will only have “learned” it if they can consistently reproduce it over time.

It means there are two issues for instructors to address. One is that being able to do it in a lesson is no guarantee it is “learned”. The second is that even if it is “learned” there will be skill fade.

“How” we deliver the “what” in Pauls lesson can improve the chances of content being learned or it can, in some cases, reduce the chances of something being learned. This has been studied.

“How” we deliver also influences motivation to practice. This too has been studied.

Employing techniques which improve my clients chances of learning is a no brainer for me.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
alanj

Post by alanj »

I think that there is generally too much of a hurry to advance, both from the student and instructor.

I've certainly found that I need to learn in small chunks, often just one concept at a time.
I then need to practice that until it becomes ingrained. ie I no longer have to consciously think about it to get a reasonable result. ( That doesn't mean its perfect, just acceptable and something I can build on )
Only then move on to a new concept.
Typically 2 hours is more than long enough, probably too long for a lesson. I lose concentration and therefore performance and motivation. Its a vicious cycle.
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

alanj wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:36 am I think that there is generally too much of a hurry to advance, both from the student and instructor.
Definitely.
I've certainly found that I need to learn in small chunks, often just one concept at a time.
I then need to practice that until it becomes ingrained. ie I no longer have to consciously think about it to get a reasonable result. ( That doesn't mean its perfect, just acceptable and something I can build on )
Yes
Typically 2 hours is more than long enough, probably too long for a lesson. I lose concentration and therefore performance and motivation. Its a vicious cycle.
Yes.

:) :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
alanj

Post by alanj »

Wow that must be a first for SL. Complete agreement!
Cheers
Alan

bad and getting worse :blush:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

My bet is he would not deliver a lesson now the way he would have done in 2008 but that’s for him to answer.
Not only the how would be different but it would be a very different course plan nowadays too. It will be interesting to give these again.
You know how often I slightly step in for tuning a student's movements within an exercise to avoid him training some ineffective movement (wasting efficiency)?
Blimey. So they can only learn and train in your presence? I teach my students to train and practise without me. I’m not God and can’t be there with them at all times :D

I guide too Bernd. I have guests coming for a week of fishing, that involves casting training as well. Quite a few of my clients do both video conferencing coaching as well week long fishing trips. First trip or two here I guide them full-time. Ultimately they can rent a boat and I look after them, if that’s what they prefer.

I have a pretty good idea if being guided by me with casting coaching for a week, or having a 9 month course is better for their casting development, because I do both and continually compare them. I’m also in the fortunate position that I can compare when they return in person one year later as well. I get to see all sides of the equation and in particular whether or not they have retained the skills or otherwise.

Before their first visit here, I now teach my guests 3 or more months in advance via Zoom, in order that they can practise before they come and be able to make the first shot here. This has been working very well. Prior to this they had to come several times before they would catch their first fish! Zoom has changed this and the guests are arriving with the necessary skills in place.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Oh yes and I should add, as much as it pains me to say this, that Mark and Vince were totally correct, that as fly casting coaches, we should be studying everything we can lay our hands, with regards to how students learn motor skills and how to train sports movement.

It was incredibly egotistical of me to believe that somehow flycasting was different from other sports and that if you teach it for long enough, and pay attention, that you work out everything you need to know.

What a load of twoddle!!! :D Shoot me with a 10WT!!

The great thing however, is that we are the very people, for whom these wonderful scientists study motor skills learning.

So thanks Mark and Vince!! I’ve been living in a cupboard quite unnecessarily. :evil: Actually I’m very annoyed with myself but better not to dwell too long on past mistakes. :whistle:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I may have fainted...send help... :oh: :oh:
Casting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’ve been wrong about many things, Mark. But I can’t imagine being more wrong about something that truly matters to me than this. I can be amazing stupid/stubborn sometimes! It appears I can be highly resistant to learning — how incredibly silly of me. I have no excuses.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

What is this witchery? 😁
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

There's hope :yeahhh:
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Teaching”