PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Just the tip?

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Just the tip?

Post by Graeme H »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:36 am Hello Graeme,
My answer is no.

Regards
Bernd
That’s okay Bernd. Matt had a lot of caveats in his question, so,e of which were covered in your response.

I didn’t want to confuse the main question with lots of “it depends” answers.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Few wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:10 pm Moving away from focusing on loading and unloading the rod yielded far fewer tailing loops
Not for physics but an interesting observation for teaching.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

VGB wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:00 am
Few wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:10 pm Moving away from focusing on loading and unloading the rod yielded far fewer tailing loops

Regards

Vince
Agreed.

I always disavow my students of the concept of “loading the rod” as being an essential of casting. It nearly always shifts a load off their mind. 😁 Immediate results almost guaranteed.

Cheers, Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

All else being sort of equal, I agree with Graeme. And we've known it for years, but in a world where talking about rods as if they where magic wands with similar properties, its hard to break through the BS :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:39 am All else being sort of equal, I agree with Graeme.
Hi Lasse,
Of course you do. So do I.

And I bet you agree with me, that all else (tip path included) being equal, the angle of dangle to determine the resulting loop shape (better loop propagation).

It's just, that all else NEVER is nor will it ever be equal.

I am really not sure what this is good for?
The loop propagation we see can only be the outcome of a serious number of key configurations...

Definetly we both know, that "the line goes wherever the tip goes" (as for example Chico Fernandez said in his fine 2 tapes) was very wrong and not very helpful to learn of what really happens.

Just the tip?
Big big NO to me. 😇
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 5:27 am
John Waters wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:14 am I must admit to a degree of indifference in respect of waves travelling down the rod leg.
Maybe if presentation casts were included in competition, you wouldn’t be indifferent?

After the stop, they propagate towards the loop but don’t go around it.

Vince
Hi Vince,

I do a lot of trout fishing in streams and have done so since the 60s and have actually caught a trout or two. Well maybe two is a stretch. Don't do a lot of salt water but have done a bit for different species. I can't see the issue with some waves in the rod leg, even when I do presentation casts to spooky trout in overgrown twig water.

Maybe that's why I have a long way to go in being able to put my fly in a target, even in a stream,

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John

It’s all about control with either leg. If you had to put your line around an obstacle on the way to a target, competition or fishing, you will need to be in control of the rod leg after loop formation. If the target and obstacle is nearby, you need to have that control very quickly.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Bernd,

You are correct about the other things having an influence (sometimes large) but Matt did write this in his question:
Few wrote:To avoid distractions I'm assuming there is no hauling, and the line starts out straight, without slack, in an idealized back cast
He recognises it's not a perfect question but wants to know if the rod tip movement is the main thing he should concentrate on.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:38 am Hi John

It’s all about control with either leg. If you had to put your line around an obstacle on the way to a target, competition or fishing, you will need to be in control of the rod leg after loop formation. If the target and obstacle is nearby, you need to have that control very quickly.

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince,

I agree with you about the need for control, but in my view a small wave in the rod leg does not really detract from that objective.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Graeme H wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:13 am
VGB wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:00 am

Regards

Vince
Agreed.

I always disavow my students of the concept of “loading the rod” as being an essential of casting. It nearly always shifts a load off their mind. 😁 Immediate results almost guaranteed.

Cheers, Graeme
Agreed. But in those rare cases where it makes it better I let it go :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting Physics”