PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC rules and it's impact

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: WC rules and it's impact

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John,

The problem with visibility is that of line density. The more powdered weight that is added to the line the darker it’s going to be. The problem with floating lines is that they restrict distance and are more wind affected. One option would be to have hi-vis leaders and shooting line. Still, seeing the loops will be pretty hard. I don’t think there is a solution that solves all these challenges.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I would be surprised if the T38 was abandoned in favour for the T27. It’s a different animal. Wearing shorts while casting the T38 can be a bad idea.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:51 am
I’m surprised by the challenges in buying 38g lines. Surely if you commit to buying a large enough quantity, then any manufacturer who can make them will make them.

Cheers, Paul
Both Rio and barstool has stopped making lines for anyone else but them and a few they where obligated to by contract. So that leaves Cortland, SA, Leichi and the few small independent manufacturers. If it's to be high density then the manufacturers narrows down alot. And I am not sure those two are interested in such small numbers of lines with such high quality control?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It depends on quantities and price. Even so I don’t think there is much profit involved, if any. I seem to recall a conversation about this where the ICSF kept changing the line weight for this event, which added another complication. John will remember. It’s strange though, the number of people over the years who have asked me where to buy these lines. The SA ones were treated with reverence, only appearing in competition.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, I'm sure the ICSF Exec. will source a supplier soon as they will need lines for 2024 WCs and beyond. I'm sure they will strike a balance between visibility and density. I do remember the both the standardisation to the SA lines and then to Airflow. There were objections and issues then as I'm sure there will be with a new supplier. Steve would be a great resource, he has supported casting at both levels and as a competitor, he knows the sport well. His current lines are excellent. A mate and I have ordered some for summer training, looking forward to their arrival. I've got a few SA lines still in the box, I might include them in my will.

I must contact James and see what the participation rate in the BFCC #7 weight line distance event has been over the time it has been conducted. A #7 line certainly fits into the fishing category of gear. We tried a #7 line distance event in Oz 15 years ago and it did not attract participants so it was dropped from the Australian events. Might be worth revisiting it to see if it attracts Australian fly fishers to casting sport.

Choice is good,

John
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Paul,

but John is a AFAIK a delegate and he can vote. Others could convince their delegates too. It depends who is member of the ICSF, in my case it's the German fishing association; actually they would need to ask their members for an opinion. In practice that never happens, I don't remember that they ever have asked us. I personally would take this as opportunity to modernize these events, but I know it's unlikely to be happen - others have a different opinion and the casting sport management was/is always reluctant to changes (e.g. even the proposal to use fluff instead of flies for the distance events was rejected).

You can find all proposals etc. here
https://www.icsf-castingsport.com/organ ... s/in-2023/

I'm sure they will announce the report of the meeting soon.

Greetings,
Torsten
Paul Arden wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:25 pm
That means in summary, you don't support the japanese proposal (?)
It’s not my position to approve or disapprove. That is a choice for the majority of the active competitors I believe.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Torsten,

Yes it’s been a common problem in casting instructor associations too. :( There is so much more that could be done.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi, got a message,

ICSF board (almost) completely changed, Alena Kläusler is the new chairwoman, vice-presidents are Wolfgang Feige-Lorenz and Thorgeir Gustavsen, congratulations 👍

Greetings,
Torsten
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I add my congratulations to all Executive, Board and Committee members also. Great people, solid backgrounds.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Great! I’ve talked with Thorgeir many times.

Flycasting Definitions
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Now I can represent Australia if needed :p
Attachments
Screenshot_20231206_132337_Photo Editor.jpg

Return to “Casting Sport”