PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Paul teaching OSD and 170

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Re: Paul teaching OSD and 170

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul,

One of the things that jumped out to me was the elevated height of your hand on the 170 presentation stroke.

I've played with that in the past, and found some advantages and especially for more distance without extra effort. I've also tried to incorporate Mac's idea of "pulling" (dropping the elbow) with the shoulder muscles as a way to ease the strain on my wrist and hand. The latter idea was more about making casting heavier tackle easier than it was about maximizing distance with trout lines.

For me, the booger in the whole idea is getting from the end of the extended 170 back cast to the correct posture for delivery, while maintaining decent tracking. I found that stepping was one effective way to reposition, but that only works in the field... Unfortunately it's not an option when fishing.

Do you have any tips on making that transition?

Thanks for the video!

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi Gary,
Did you see Lasse's or mine video of Ronny Landin both on Vimeo (MED5 WC)?
Thats a fine demo of perfect technique without stepping.
Watch the rod hand path and speed for repositioning.
You may train the movement next to a wall without the line to better stay in plane for a beginning.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:36 am Hi Gary,
Did you see Lasse's or mine video of Ronny Landin both on Vimeo (MED5 WC)?
Thats a fine demo of perfect technique without stepping.
Watch the rod hand path and speed for repositioning.
You may train the movement next to a wall without the line to better stay in plane for a beginning.
Regards
Bernd
Hi Bernd,

Have not seen that, is it possible to post the video here?

John
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Hi John,
Sure 😊

Cheers
B
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Bernd,

Thanks for the videos!

I can't wait to get home and watch on a bigger screen.

Among a few things that I found interesting, it looks like he adjusts his wrist immediately after the back cast stop (or maybe even sooner)?

That makes sense of course... and it probably explains some of my difficulty as I think I have been trying to adjust while I'm moving forward to get into a launch position.

A really wide stance too? Especially when compared to the other caster.

And quite a low back cast trajectory? Was that due to a significant tail wind?

I guess I know what I'm going to be doing this evening. :)
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:42 pm And quite a low back cast trajectory? Was that due to a significant tail wind?
Hi Gary,
Yes, there was serious tail wind.
Having his feet like that allowed to support the bc with body movement.
Regards
Bernd
Great observation of yours. By far the best I saw here on SL for that video!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Gary,

I think John’s suggestion to come through with the hand behind the shoulder, and rotate the body first, is ultimately the solution. I’ve been playing around with this since the interview.

Hands up, I’m not convinced yet of the power application suggested, but I’m certainly open to it. But even with the same power application I normally use, this (in this case: repositioning move) is much straighter. It’s always a recalibration for me and will most probably take me 3-4 months but I’m happy so far and have had a couple of excellent sessions in particular.

With regards the height, to track straight the hand has to come through the square shoulder position whatever stroke we use. One way is to move the shoulder out of the way, another is to pass over the top with the rod hand, or some combination. I do think about getting the shoulder and body in behind the cast for the launch, which I believe is different from John’s current track. Interesting stuff!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:57 am Hi John,
Sure 😊

Cheers
B
Thanks Bernd, appreciate you posting those videos. I had not seen either before. I find the initiating hand movement and relative hip/shoulder positioning interesting.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That was an interesting finals. A storm blew straight down the lake. At one point in the competition the pontoons were rocking up and down so much the competitors could hardly stay upright. Literally Steve was barely hanging on in the outside pontoon :laugh:

Lee and I were having a good chuckle about that, from out vantage point behind a tree.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:59 am That was an interesting finals. A storm blew straight down the lake. At one point in the competition the pontoons were rocking up and down so much the competitors could hardly stay upright. Literally Steve was barely hanging on in the outside pontoon :laugh:

Lee and I were having a good chuckle about that, from out vantage point behind a tree.

Cheers, Paul
That would be difficult Paul, I'm now using three steps and hope there are solid platforms in Sweden at next year's WCs. If not, I'd better pack some motion sickness pills.

John

Return to “Teaching”