PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Learning syllabus - certifications

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Learning syllabus - certifications

Post by Paul Arden »

I think there needs to be an awareness of the backcast target ingrained. Not only where it is but that some part of the mind is still on the back target up until loop straight. “Ring the bell”. This takes a lot of training. Many months. But it is essential. I can tell you that every cast I ever make nowadays has this back target awareness in place and it really has developed from pressure shots (and accuracy hoops incidentally).

If you have a Clouser or Popper on the end you absolutely know loop straight. You can feel it, and that fly hangs in the air. This is the stuff that needs training. A snakehead shot without rear target awareness, is simply never going to reach the fish. Believe me I’ve witnessed it many many times :whistle: :p

As coaches, as teachers for flycasters taking shots, as guides, we need to teach this ability. Making a backcast without watching it is absolutely critical to success when accurate shots are required in sight fishing. (I don’t count GTs by the way because they will change direction and swim 30’ to take a fly!).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Boisker wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:42 pm
Definitely at the beginning feel is useless…. Unless we are referring to ‘feel the rod load’…. which I know most don’t like as a term😂😂😂…. Certainly at the beginning if you are casting to ‘feel’ the rod, I’d suggest you are massively overpowering the cast… I certainly was😏

All you have got for ages is your eyes, it is the only reliable way to interpret what is happening.
It is extraordinarily difficult to persuade people of this.

Hardly any lets the loop fully unroll, most start way to early. There's nothing to "feel" and everyone benefits more from watching the line in front while counting, and then repeating the count behind for a starting point. Timing, having a similar pause between strokes.
Feel often belongs with rodload, in the trashcan.
Yup 👍👍
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I wonder what the chances are of escaping the hounds if I use a popper or clouser on a chalkstream 😎
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

VGB wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:51 pm I wonder what the chances are of escaping the hounds if I use a popper or clouser on a chalkstream 😎
Early mornings Vince, just as day breaks… no-one will ever know😂
VGB

Post by VGB »

I have to scourge myself if I use a nymph. It’s not mandatory but I think that it’s the right thing to do.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I don't believe people who's best argument is, believe me ;)

And since most flyfisher ever only practices a minute amount of what they need, saying something takes months of dedicated training will almost never happen.
I first heard about havingva target 180 degrees from the forward one, from Peter Hayes in 2007. Its a nice trick, but personally I rarely use it, and definetly not for hitting a target in front. Especially when I don't look at the imaginary ring in the sky, or bell or fish and have to imagine I do, when at the same time dodging waves and slim rocks and wind and a ton of other restrictions. Poor beginners :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

As coaches, as teachers for flycasters taking shots, as guides, we need to teach this ability. Making a backcast without watching it is absolutely critical to success
We’re in the wrong section for this now. However, if the basics are taught effectively then there is zero need to specifically focus teaching time on this because it happens anyway as a result of drilling varying plane, trajectory and body positions.

If you ask someone to show you their casting early in a lesson they will almost invariably adopt a facing the target, elbow up down position. Anyone teaching cross body, look both ways, loop control will know how keen casters are to get back into this closed demo style cast. It’s very common to keep having to turn them back open.

If a caster turns into that vertical position too soon then the rhythm and timing, that Lasse correctly indicates that we rely on, is not well established enough to be reliable and it all goes to pot again.

Plus, in a lesson where you are very likely pressing hard on the need to look, getting someone to specifically concentrate on not looking is quite likely to introduce some dissonance.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:22 pm I think there needs to be an awareness of the backcast target ingrained. Not only where it is but that some part of the mind is still on the back target up until loop straight. “Ring the bell”.

Cheers, Paul
Paul,

Is your bell a tip path target or a true fly-at-turnover target?

It seems to me that if it is a tip path target, the real fly (ie not fluff) will probably be lower at line straight, but if it is a true fly target, then the trajectory of the tip path will probably have to be higher to compensate for the fly dropping.

I've been casting a lot of Clousers lately, and I can assure you they do not hang in the air... at least not mine!

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a very good question Gary. It’s the fly target at loop straight and everything else has to adjust. But I also know it doesn’t always work out that way. Even our high targets can end up lower than we think. Very frustrating :D

Ultimately the forward turnover tells us if our backcast target has been elevated enough. Which is why and how we adjust our training of course.

Good question. We do the same thing. For me I love it. It’s the pinnacle of fly fishing/casting – shots. We really must get together.

I assume it’s the same for you, but I don’t know, when working on someone’s shot taking I concentrate on two things: 1 the target (not the fish) 2 the backcast target. 3 the front target. If that’s all you have to worry about then you are in the game.

Mark, don’t agree. I take CIs fishing. To catch a fish where I live, they need to train their backcast target. This is CIs. It’s possible to be a CI and not be able to take a shot. I really hope you come fishing with me, but before you come here I want to work with you on shots for 3 months first. With this you might catch 5 fish in a week. Without this maybe 1. Or none. There are not many open invites but you have one. Of course.
And since most flyfisher ever only practices a minute amount of what they need, saying something takes months of dedicated training will almost never happen.
Fuck ‘em. They’re not coming fishing with me then :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

This is the beginners section Paul. The thread is on a curriculum for beginners. It may well be read by beginners or recreational anglers trying to improve their casting.

My recommendation for beginners or recreational anglers is that they learn to control loops through a wide range of planes, trajectories and body positions. Their principal feedback mechanism is going to be what they can see and that means looking both ways.

Yours is to recommend they start by trying to do something it takes a competent CI level caster a month to master ?
Casting Definitions

Return to “Beginners”