PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

FFI teaching outreach.

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Walter
Answers: 0

Re: FFI teaching outreach.

Post by Walter »

They found out they can raise a significant amount of money with way less effort by going on line with the conclaves/fair. I don’t know if they considered longer term knock on effects with overall membership or participation in the CICP program. For us, the conclaves were what drew us (myself and Susan) to the FFI in the first place and helped spark my interest in getting certified. I think if the conclaves had always been online then I probably wouldn’t have joined in the first place.

With respect to doing local events, Susan has organized an annual event through our local club that I donate my time to. To be honest we’ve had feedback from newer club members that it is one of the reasons they joined the club but I don’t think it has created any new members for the FFI or encouraged any of them to become uncertified instructors. I know it hasn’t done a thing to put extra money in my pocket.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think nowadays I would support Dan and Denise’s project.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:40 pm I think nowadays I would support Dan and Denise’s project.
Yep.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:40 pm I think nowadays I would support Dan and Denise’s project.
Yup, a internet forum for instructors, regardless of organisation. Great idea!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Walter wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:04 pm They found out they can raise a significant amount of money with way less effort by going on line with the conclaves/fair. I don’t know if they considered longer term knock on effects with overall membership or participation in the CICP program. For us, the conclaves were what drew us (myself and Susan) to the FFI in the first place and helped spark my interest in getting certified. I think if the conclaves had always been online then I probably wouldn’t have joined in the first place.
Same here.

Zoom Conclaves: meh... at best. Not going to happen for me. Zero interest. The camaraderie of casting and teaching with like minded, pals new and old, is everything.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:16 am The purpose of the CICP was to set a qualification standard. This is true of Aapgai, Gaia, SGAIC, EFFA and a host of other certification bodies around the planet set up to regulate standards of instruction.
Hi Mark,
I think at least some of these organisations were set up and run by those who wanted to become recognized and draw attention to their names. If it would just have been about WHAT and HOW to TEACH, quite some tests would have been weird at best.
Because they had little to do with teaching. Luckily some members kept complaining and over the decades some improvements have been made though.
Stoatstail50 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:16 am The implication from the above email comment is that the assessment standard is set too high for a large part of the active instructor community so a teaching resource of some description will be made available for those who “just want to teach” but don’t want to take an assessment because it would put their credibility as a guide or industry professional at risk if they failed it. 🙂
So, the Certification stands for quality in teaching? 🤔
I totally disagree. I have seen brilliant teaching and demos by none certified instructors as well as some of the lousiest teaching and demos by certified instructors.

Looking at the FFI, what to expect? 2 days ago I was asked for help by a candidate who was just given the very old original 5E broschure as study material. So I checked the YT vids of Bill Gammel about those essentials since those vids are much younger. Bottom line, nearly nothing has changed in this. You tell a lot of outdated nonsense and probably pass the test.

One may ask every organisation a simple fair question:

Do your certs stay for updated knowledge and proper skills in teaching fly casting?

🫣🫣🫣
Cheers
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:30 pm

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse,
Isnt that called Sexyloops?
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

This just in...

The Florida chapter of the FFi will hold a Zoom meeting next week. It will be the first since the change of direction with the casting instruction stuff.

I'm hoping they will shed some light on that, but organizing a Florida conclave for 2024 would be better news.

Its not like chapters can do much about the former other than chip in or ...

That reminds me of an old misogynistic joke:

Q: How many women does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None... they just sit in the dark and bitch about it!

:laugh:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:30 pm
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:30 pm

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse,
Isnt that called Sexyloops?
Cheers
B
Quite alot of non instructors present at this campfire, Dan and Denises project was a different campfire.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:26 pm Looking at the FFI, what to expect? 2 days ago I was asked for help by a candidate who was just given the very old original 5E broschure as study material. So I checked the YT vids of Bill Gammel about those essentials since those vids are much younger. Bottom line, nearly nothing has changed in this. You tell a lot of outdated nonsense and probably pass the test.
I just looked and found a 62 page guide, I don’t agree with all of it but Rome wasn’t built in a day. If your candidate needs to be spoon fed information, they probably need to adjust their expectations.

I would also suggest that expecting an assessment to be a measure of instructor abilities is a bit naive. Engineers much like other professions such as doctors, pilots, school teachers, sports coaches, plumbers, electricians or almost anything you can name, go through a professional development process before they are let lose on their own. I’m not sure why you would think that casting instructor should be any different?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Teaching”