PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Today's FP... Tough Going

Commenting on the Sexyloops’ Front Page
Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Today's FP... Tough Going

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

James,

Just curious... have y'all been monitoring the water temperature on the flats?

That has been a big topic just across the Stream on the east coast of south Florida this past summer.

The guides I know have added targeting cooler currents to the long list of parameters they monitor.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Today's FP... Tough Going

Post by Paul Arden »

I asked that same question!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Post by James9118 »

Hi Gary,

Apologies - I've just seen this now. We don't actually monitor the temperature but obviously we can feel it on our legs. There have definitely been flats that have been too hot - that wading through bath-water type feeling. I've also spoken to some friends who live on the island and they have told us that the summer was blisteringly hot. We're currently targeting flats that are close to the ocean in the hope that they are a bit cooler, For the last couple of days and for the next few we have a very strong (30 kmph) NNE wind - hopefully that will also help things cool down.

Regards, James

P.S. Tracy had this one during the week:
Tracy bonefish botk.JPG
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

A thermometer I think would be very interesting. On the lake the temp in the surface layer I’m on varies between 28 (rare) and 34C (common) With usually a 2C difference between morning and evening. The trigger to see Snakehead surfacing appears to be around 32C. I’m sure it’s related to dissolved oxygen of course.

Anyway the point is I can’t detect 1 degree temp difference by touch, especially when my feelings of hot and cold are influenced by air temp. For example after driving up the lake in a late evening rain storm I feel cold and so jump in the lake to get warm again. But it’s the same or slightly lower lake temp than I jump into in the middle of the afternoon to cool off!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “FP Discussions”