PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Gaze Behaviours in Fly Casting Accuracy

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Stoatstail50
Answers: 0

Re: Gaze Behaviours in Fly Casting Accuracy

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I know Bill teaches casters to throw car keys over their shoulders. Maybe car keys is not such a good idea!
This is because the loop control skill hasn’t been mastered yet and the default casting position for instruction is facing the target which means you can’t focus on anything behind you.

I once got pissed at a wedding in Plymouth and skimmed my car key out to sea to see if would skip. This made me a bit unpopular in the morning.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Back-cast containers, yes, with mid-level casters. Sans car keys... :laugh:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s more to do with a throwing action. Lee explains his Triangle Method as being a combination of something Bill and Joan were doing. On Bill’s 5 Essentials video he laid out a long strip of black polythene sheeting and is doing what we now usually refer to as the Triangle Method. He certainly wasn’t teaching facing forward to beginners.

Elephants are growling at me tonight. Must be a good snakehead fishing day tomorrow.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Then he’s not likely to be asking anyone to throw anything over their shoulders. You don’t need to throw anything over your shoulder unless you’re facing the target.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

What’s the gaze behaviour, or focus of attention, for someone throwing a set of keys behind them ? What is the desired outcome and could they independently check they got what they wanted ?
Casting Definitions

easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:04 pm Then he’s not likely to be asking anyone to throw anything over their shoulders. You don’t need to throw anything over your shoulder unless you’re facing the target.
... detail, details.

Are you filling in for Lasse today? :whistle: :D
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I’ve got Covid…party season 🤨🤨
Casting Definitions

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

You’ll have to ask Bill, but I would have them throw directly away from target.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s late here but we should discuss how to teach how take shots when sight fishing to moving targets. But that’s not the exercise. The exorcise is about developing pattern in the vertical. I thought you might have liked it Mark, because it’s not telling someone how to move.

Must sleep :D

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

There is quite a lot to unpack here because if, for example, we are teaching someone to take shots at tarpon, then we don’t want them watching their backcasts, principally because the fish is moving. So we need to teach them how to make that same great tight loop backcast, directly away from the front target (which is not the fish, but a chosen point in front of the fish) without watching their backcast.

This is a process. It’s certainly something I get asked to coach by my students – at least half of them come to improve their saltwater shot taking. And anyone who comes fishing with me here in Malaysia MUST be able to do this (as well as other skills), before they come here.

Where the problem often lies, is trying to introduce this long before the caster has learned to control loops, even with watching them. And often that can be because haven’t been taught to watch them!

Fortunately we still have cues that allow the backcast to be straight. Drawing straight back from the front target. Lifting directly away from the front target. The angle the rod tip makes to the front target (or the angle the line makes at the end of the lift). The shoulder can be another cue, if we are casting vertically.

The most common problem I see is someone actually not having a rear target. I always talk about an imaginary bell that they have to ring on the backcast. This bell exists for every backcast; its height is determined by the trajectory of the next forward cast.

Not only does the cast need to be aimed at the bell, but the caster needs to be aware of the backcast until the fly hits the bell. “Ting”. This can solve Creep. After all, Creep, is usually the result of the angler shifting his attention to the next cast, before the backcast has fully unrolled. If his or her attention is focussed on the fly actually striking the bell, “Ting”, then Creep is not going to occur. There may be timing issues but that’s a different problem — at least according to Bill and our definition of Creep. :p

What I have them do, to learn to make a backcast without watching, is to have them alternately looking and not looking at various periods while falsecasting. Target casting is really good for front cues being used to fire away a great backcast. It’s a whole set of training exercises to make the transition from watching to not watching, but an essential one anyone who wants to have fun fishing in the Salt or have their arse kicked in Malaysia.

Jesus there is a whole herd of elephants working their way around the bank and I just know they are going to be splashing around the boat tonight. Fifteen of them. I’d better prime the motor in case I need an emergency exit.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”