PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Humidity, Air Conditions and Casting

Moderator: Torsten

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Humidity, Air Conditions and Casting

Post by VGB »

James9118 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:18 am I discussed this on a number of occasions with Vince, who found the reference he posted above, showing that drag can be significantly reduced if the approaching airflow is turbulent.

As such, I think the 'distance falls in high humidity' observation has some truth in it, but it's not simply a result of the humidity which, as you rightly point out, would actually lower drag. I suspect observations of poor distances in sticky, high humidity conditions are more linked with lack of wind and perhaps a transition to a more laminar flow.
James observations tie in with my own. We now have a weather station at home and the measured humidity did not directly tally with bad air days but cold, foggy still days are a near racing certainty for a drop off in distance. When you dig in to surface level atmospheric behaviour, factors such as terrain, radiation, advection, and subsidence all play a role and it is very difficult to pin down a single factor for the onset of these conditions, except that you know when you are in it.

regards

Vince

PS I just dug into some of the historic discussion with James on the topic and lifted this quote which is probably relevant "In the atmosphere, moisture, and particularly condensed moisture, strongly modulates the emission, absorption, and reflection of radiant streams of energy, and this in turn helps determine the rate that radiative processes stabilize or destabilize the flow".
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Less lift in the loop. 😶
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am Less lift in the loop. 😶
Pixies don't like sticky, hot conditions so they find somewhere else with a cooling breeze.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Another thing I’ve wondered about is whether size matters. :p

By that I mean the difference between comparing larger bodies like airplane wings to fly line cross sections. Airplanes and other large bodies consistently report the expected effects of lowered drag in higher humidity and are less affected by the lack of turbulence and fly lines are more significantly affected by the turbulence factor?

Lasse:

I think there is also a psychological factor as well. Pole vaulters and long jumpers, for example, can feel cramped in when moving from an outdoor venue to an indoor venue and that affects their performance. Most of them adjust to it over time but the adjustment period will vary between athletes.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:09 am Less lift in the loop. 😶
2 mm instead of 3? ;)

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Walter wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:06 pm Another thing I’ve wondered about is whether size matters. :p

By that I mean the difference between comparing larger bodies like airplane wings to fly line cross sections. Airplanes and other large bodies consistently report the expected effects of lowered drag in higher humidity and are less affected by the lack of turbulence and fly lines are more significantly affected by the turbulence factor?
Reynolds numbers deal with the scaling issues. I’m not sure that the issue with aircraft is so much less drag as more thrust at lower temperatures due to increased density.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Walter

Post by Walter »

James9118 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:34 am
Pixies don't like sticky, hot conditions so they find somewhere else with a cooling breeze.
Sounds like a quantum effect.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t think it’s psychological Walter. Not after ten years! It’s significant and about 10 feet. Maybe it’s not humidity that’s the cause. Here we tend to blame Hantu Tetek when things don’t go according to plan. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think that there’s been a tendency to fixate on humidity because it is an easily measurable property. Humidity in isolation may be a bit of a red herring as far as drag is concerned. It has been around 35% for the last couple of days and casting is hard. During the summer, it was hitting 75-80% and casting was a pleasure, I hit my best distances and carries because there was usually a light breeze and probably resultant turbulence.

Being on an island, we are often subjected to sea-land breezes on a diurnal cycle. We tend to lose that breeze when land and sea temperatures equalise, usually in the morning and evening, resulting in mist and fog.

There are many different types of fog based on the factors I mentioned at Post 11; terrain, radiation, advection, and subsidence

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/le ... pes-of-fog

I was casting in either evaporation or radiation fog yesterday that hung on because of the sharp changes in air temperatures. Both cause the still air that has high relative humidity to lose temperature and pressure. Consequently, the water condenses from gas and the resultant loss of volume further reduces pressure. Valley fog is probably similar but not an issue around my area, maybe James sees it?

If you get the same effect on casting in tropical areas it is likely be due to the factors James mentioned but advection is a possible culprit, as is subsidence. However, it’s a bit of guesswork because we don’t often get tropical conditions in the UK 😀

Regards

Vince

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:07 pm I don’t think it’s psychological Walter. Not after ten years! It’s significant and about 10 feet. Maybe it’s not humidity that’s the cause. Here we tend to blame Hantu Tetek when things don’t go according to plan. :pirate:

Cheers, Paul
How far can you cast in a real flat calm? Or indoors?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting Physics”