PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hang time and center of mass

Moderator: Torsten

Walter
Answers: 0

Hang time and center of mass

Post by Walter »

I'm surprised we rarely see discussions about center of mass when talking about the flight and hang time of the line. Usually, some point on the line like the loop or the fly is used as the measurement point to determine how fast the line is, or appears to be, falling.

I know that there is the idea that center of mass doesn't apply to fly line because its flexible but if center of mass applies to Dick Fosbury and systems of particles, I think it applies to fly line as well.

Here are some videos showing the relationship between center of mass and a "body" in flight.

The first is about the "invention" of the Fosbury Flop in high jump:

The next video shows the movement of the center of mass during a high jump. Even though the contortions of the jumper will constantly change the location of their center of mass in relation to their body their center of mass stays on the path predicted by Newtonian mechanics:

The final video is about hang time in basketball. The interesting bit starts around 4:50 showing the path of Jordan's head vs his center of gravity during his leap:

I know that there are other factors in play. In the tethered cast we have to consider tension in the rod leg and in the untethered cast there is the constant change in mass but I just wanted to show that making generalizations about the flight of the fly line by concentrating on a single portion of the line can be misleading.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
James9118

Re: Hang time and center of mass

Post by James9118 »

Hi Walter,

I think it's been mentioned many times, however those that want to see lift, see lift. I see pixies.

James.
Walter

Post by Walter »

James,

Strangely, the purveyors of flying fly lines refused to give me a refund when I pointed out that my lines had lost their lift. ;)
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Walter wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm James,

Strangely, the purveyors of flying fly lines refused to give me a refund when I pointed out that my lines had lost their lift. ;)
Well they wouldn’t would they….because that’s probably Piximetosis.

A course on “learning to love yourelf” should fix it.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Walter wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:15 pm James,

If you made the common mistake of putting your fly line on the reel backwards, they take the opportunity to run away via the running line (hence the name) and the line is ruined. The bad news is that now they are free to roam in the wild, exacting revenge on their erstwhile cast-masters in the form of "wind knots" in their tippet.

The Pixie exodus from the line is a process known as Pixit.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Seriously though, I believe you're right to raise the question of GoG in the line. I'm not sure what to do with the knowledge, but I'm happy to follow along.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

Graeme H wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:13 am I believe you're right to raise the question of GoG in the line.
It’s not just GoG but also MaGoG. The Centre of Mass does give a better representation of the lines flight but focusing on bits of line does lead to caster pixcitation. Seeing pixies is better than seeing dead people though.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

It’s not just GoG but also MaGoG. The Centre of Mass does give a better representation of the lines flight
Vince,
In a uniform gravitational field I thought the center of mass was at the same point as the center of gravity.

Are your pixies messing with the distribution of gravity as well as impacting the flight of a fly line?

Gordy
VGB

Post by VGB »

Gordy

You should put your spectacles on before replying, "GoG" is a biblical character, not a gravity field:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gog_and_Magog

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

While we are on the topic of gravity

Return to “Flycasting Physics”