PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Old way, new way.

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Re: Old way, new way.

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:01 pm In person I would never give a more than 2hr lesson to a complete beginner anyway. And 90 minutes should be more than enough.
I’m in the same boat, the students are mentally tired through intense concentration. I think it’s the same whenever you learn a new skill, I was the same when I first started wood turning, even my muscles ached, even though it wasn’t physically demanding.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Old way, new way.

Post by Paul Arden »

You have to be fresh to learn well. That means physically and mentally. As soon as that energy level drops then it’s time to break and then reinforce the lesson. It really comes down to how much you can teach in a lesson (of any duration) and whether you need to be there for the training. The great thing about setting drills is you can teach more in a lesson.

I had a student today who apologised because he had only spent 8 hrs training since the previous lesson. Only!! It is that time spent between lessons that nowadays I structure. And in his defence it’s bloody cold where he is! :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”