PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Open stance beginnet

marcu1969
Answers: 0

Open stance beginnet

Post by marcu1969 »

Open Stance
Hi
I am starting to begin to practice open stance
My problem
1) when twisting my torso the rod tips makes a C
Very frustrating.

Broke it down in slow motion in front of a mirror and just cannot get or work out how to keep the rod in a straight line

How to you keep the translation straight when the body and shoulder are rotating from open to closed ?

Even picking a target on the back cast and forward cast doesn’t help as the problem lays in the translation

Cheers
Marcus
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Open stance beginnet

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Marcus,

With a vertical cast I use the initial shoulder position as a cue as well as the two targets. For Closed Stance I come to the shoulder. With Open Stance I come through the shoulder. And with the 170 I come through and over the shoulder.

With Open I see the rotation in part as getting the shoulder out of the way to allow the hand to come through straight.

This was filmed some time ago…

I have a drill that goes from Closed to Open. I stand in the Open foot position but cast square to the target as one would Closed Stance and then as line carry increases introduce weight shift and body rotation forming OSD.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
marcu1969

Post by marcu1969 »

Thanks mate
Must have missed that video
That’s perfect everything I need to practice it
have a great Xmas
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s great Marcus. Let us know how it goes.

Incidentally I don’t think of this as beginner’s stuff!

Have a great Xmas too :pirate:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
marcu1969

Post by marcu1969 »

Yeah agree
Only been about 6 months since I started
With the help of your videos, I can get a closed stance cast away 60/70 feet accurately , pick up lay down and all casting drills 3 times a week
marcu1969

Post by marcu1969 »

I was looking at doing some zoom lessons next year March , starting with (6) with you if you free
I’m putting together video and also use a drone
Will keep practicing over the winter
What is the cost and availability for March looking like Paul
Cheers Marcus
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I’d been toying getting some drone footage as well Marcus…
We’ve just bought a drone for surveying at work, I’d been thinking of asking the operator (I know it can hold position on its own, but if I stuff the drone I’m £3,500 down 😂) if she would film me one day.
With an orange line over concrete and a concrete wall behind I reckon filming above and full 360’s at different heights would be very instructive…. And no doubt very depressing😂😂
marcu1969

Post by marcu1969 »

🙈🙈🤣🤣🤣
Yeah images of a half crippled drone flying over the local retail park with 9ft fly rod dangling from it are always in the back of my mind 🤣🤣
But yeah gives another perspective especially loop shape and tracking
BTW you can pick up a drone for filming yourself for a couple of hundred quid second hand, DJI spark ,ryze tello do the job no bother
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I have a Mavic Air 2 and when I feel like terrifying myself I take it for a fly. It will hold position and can even be sent around in circles but casting and flying is a notch too far for me. Especially over water! Although I have now invested in a “life jacket” for it. Pity I didn’t do that with the first drone!

70’ yep. That’s when I start to introduce open stance technique as in the video, Marcus. 👍 I would also look at a video called intermediate level double hauling.

March is good! I normally do 12 lessons and not 6. I do offer 6 as an extension after 12. There is a reason for 12. Usually there is a major transformation around 8-10 lessons in and about 8 months down the line. The only Zoom students I’ve had who haven’t got there (and I would call this Advanced level) had the shorter course.

12 lessons is 800USD (current price) and usually takes about a year. But with winters, fishing and other commitments that pop up, it can take longer. I don’t think anyone has done it in less than 8 months! If it takes two years or more I have no problems with that. It’s really about having the lesson when it’s going to have the most impact.

One of my students, who I saw yesterday, I hadn’t seen for three months! It’s been a good three months however and he has continued to improve. We actually covered what we are talking about in this discussion. Ie OSD and hauling. His longest casts are about 85’.

A key improvement for distance, which most don’t realise, is to really work on short line control. 6’ of flyline, 12’, 18’ etc. (or 5/10/15… :p) The three drills and a chainsaw video I posted recently — loops narrow to wide to narrow; loops slow, medium fast; and all planes — are fundamental to line/loop control. Add a fast haul to a tight loop with enough carry and this is the first step in distance. Then we can start to build in weight shift and more translation.

One of the hardest parts with the OSD technique is to look to the back target before we cast. And again with the front target and forward cast. This is where having the ability to cast good loops without having to think about them is essential. Then picking these targets and getting comfortable with it can take 2, 3, 4 weeks of work. Casting “ground to ground” is a drill I always introduce here.

That’s wonderful that you’ve taken up fly fishing Marcus! What type of fish are you chasing?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
marcu1969

Post by marcu1969 »

Hi Paul
Still trying to find my way around the forum
So if a similar message pops up a few times
Don’t think I nuts 🤣🤣🤣
Yeah f*** drones I have one laying at the bottom of Phang nga bay with all my footage of Thailand on the memory card
🙈🙈🙈🙈
I just put it up and leave it stationary now to film my practice sessions keeping away from water🤣🤣🤣
I’m up in the Highlands so pretty spoilt for choice
I like hill loch fishing and float tube
Right now I’m more into the casting just love casting man .
I do about 4 hours a week outside and 10 minutes a day in front of a mirror
I am a bit robotic and lack finesse but slowly getting there
Enjoying the journey
Probably trying to get to far to soon instead of mastering one thing and moving on
It looks so easy when I watch you and other great casters but it ain’t 🙈🙈🙈🤣🤣🤣
Would eventually like to end up been able to cast
Like that video of yours in the boat think it’s called freestyle casting with the heavy metal music in the
Cheers Marcus

Return to “Beginners”