PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The (self)instructor's bookshelf

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

The (self)instructor's bookshelf

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Folks,

I'm sure I am not alone in that I have a couple of shelves full of old books on fly casting. You name it, and I probably have it... or had it and gave it away. I actually cannot read them much anymore... they put me to sleep. I've read them (or similar) so many times.

The many threads lately on learning and instruction are actually on quite different planes. Of course, some of the dusty books on the shelves touch on teaching, somewhat, but a lot of it is either dated or very biased to certain philosophies... like maybe the FFi list.

I recently picked up "Motor Learning and Performance" (Thanks!) and I'm part way into it. I started to devour it, and then realized something, stopped and backed up. I'm reading the first part over and much slower, taking notes this time.

It meshes quite well with my latest curiosity... teaching myself to cast left handed. I already feel like I have a decent idea on "how" to cast, or at least my opinion on how... so I've been fascinated with why it is quite difficult to do it (well) with my left hand. I've come pretty far. Paul would probably rate me as an intermediate. And it has been rather entertaining... but I really do not understand how I've done it other than through simple
repetition and determination.

The above book appears to provide a hint at what has been happening, and in not too difficult terms. (That last part is important... I'm further from a neurophysicist than a physics PhD... and I'm sure y'all realize how far I am from the latter!) :D

I'm wondering which other books, along the same lines, that y'all would recommend?
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Stoatstail50

Re: The (self)instructor's bookshelf

Post by Stoatstail50 »

The Lemov books are easy.

“Practice Perfect.”

“The Coaches guide to Teaching.”

Rob Gray

“How we learn to move.”

Nick Winkelman

“Language of coaching”

There’s loads of others but that lot should keep you busy for a while 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think that as you go through the material, it’s also worth jotting down any ideas on application, or you will have to read them a 2nd time :)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think reading a second time or more is a good idea! I’ve loaned a couple of mine to my swim coach. I’m looking forward to getting them back!!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Might come back a bit soggy :)

I put some right handed casting in yesterday and every day in every way, it’s getting better and better. I can now watch the line both ways and not just the back cast, hauling is getting smoother and my tracking straighter as predicted by the books that have been listed.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I’d be really interested in your feedback on the Schmidt book Gary.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Teaching”