PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

About Jerry Siems loop

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Thomas
Answers: 0

About Jerry Siems loop

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody,

I have been looking at Jerry Siems casting on Youtube. I have a question regarding the shape of his loop in the clip below. When the loop almost has unrolled completely, the flyleg is not horisontal. It is angled downwards. Why is this happening?

Cheers Thomas
Graeme H

Re: About Jerry Siems loop

Post by Graeme H »

He's aiming the cast that way because he's on a raised platform and he wants the loop to unroll just above the water surface.

(And gravity is always working.)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi Graeme,

I am just talking about the flyleg. Both legs starts out horizontal and straight. The rodleg stays horizontal and straight through out the whole cast but the flyleg does not. It is very visible around 2:05 i the video.

Cheers Thomas
VGB

Post by VGB »

I think it’s a bit of a perspective thing and a change of tracking from back to front cast. It looks like he brings the line on his side of the rod on the backcast, and the far side of the rod on the delivery:
IMG_2094.jpeg
Interesting that he watches the back cast, maybe that causes his tracking issue :D :D

I also noticed that the loop starts to collapse before turnover
IMG_2092.jpeg
Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thomas wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:09 am I am just talking about the flyleg. …
Ah, yes, sorry. I should have read more carefully.
FFi CCI
George C

Post by George C »

I think Bernd has your answer here. https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... eloaded-3d
Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 12.49.37 PM.png
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hi everybody and thanks for your answers.
George, I think you (or Berndt) are right. This seems to be a plausible explanation.
VGB

Post by VGB »

I see a fairly straight fly leg throughout the cast, apart from the front taper
IMG_2095.jpeg
Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Thomas wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:36 am Why is this happening?
Hi Thomas,
My sketch linked by George (thanks George) is a good one for sure, but it does not fully answer your question.

We cast in a (nearly) horizontal figure eight. That means our loop drops (by gravity) during unrolling. Now the fly-leg has more diameter (better ratio mass to surface/friction) and will fall faster compared to the tip section of the line. Also the fly-leg is still moving, while the rod leg isn't much moving anymore. This means the rod-leg will pull down slightly changing the direction/orientation of the final fly-leg. Thus the fly-leg points downwards.
My sketch also shows why the fly-leg often moves upwards at some point. That can increase the final downward angle. I have seen it much steeper as in Jerry's smooth and pretty cast here.
They tell you the fly line moves straight following SLP of the rod tip. But there is no such straight in fly casting as I like to say. The line end moves along a path that is a lot, but never straight, not even close.
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

George C wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:53 pm I think Bernd has your answer here. https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... eloaded-3d

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 12.49.37 PM.png
Hi George and Bernd,

This diagram describes a fault I sometimes fall into in my shooting head fly distance casting training. When I get tired or lose concentration, I sometimes get the loop diving downward, replicating Drawing 6 in Bernd's diagram. To correct it, I lower my back cast trajectory and increase line speed to reduce sag.

It is always my cue to have a break.

Brilliant diagram and analysis by Bernd.

John

Return to “Flycasting”