PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Internt vs. eksternt fokus: Effekter på motorisk læring

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: Internt vs. eksternt fokus: Effekter på motorisk læring

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:11 am
Could the reason be as basic as they don't want to compete against other casters/fishers and have their performance ranked?
I don’t buy that either. If you take an assessment, your ego is put on the line and failing is demoralising. Why haven’t you taken an instructor assessment John?

Regards

Vince
That's fair enough Vince, we are all entitled to an opinion. Failure can be also a challenge. Instructor assessment is not a ranking, so I see that as different from competition. IMHO opinion they are two different beasts. I enjoy helping CCI and MCI candidates with some aspects of the tests but as I have said in previous posts on Sexyloops, I would fail a CCI assessment, given my views on some aspects of casting technique and instruction. For me, it's not a fear of failure, but rather a case of respecting the views of others and mine. IMHO I do not see a certification assessment as the right forum for any discrepancies that may arise from those respective views. I have too much respect for the examiners for that. I did pass a casting instructor assessment with a casting federation many years ago, but that was not at the level of a current CCI.
That aside, why do you think casting competitions do not attract more entrants?

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:26 am
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:39 pm I have said it many times, mate.
Change the headline into:
Certified Fly Caster
Built the exam for casting only.
That is a huge market. Much bigger than those few who enter the exams in order to become a teacher and a million times bigger than those 3 ppl. who entered an exam while going to make their living on teaching.
It's a hobby and most candidates look for a casting challenge.
At least that's what I experienced.
There are at least 3 casting schemes out there offering Bronze, Silver and Gold awards to my knowledge and as far as I’m aware, there’s about the same take up as tournament casting. I think that aside from geeks, there’s very little interest in casting at all except as a gateway to fishing. Even then, people will learn the bare minimum to achieve their fishing objective and there are other rabbit holes to dive down, particularly fly tying. I fly fished for about 10 years before I got a lesson and got by with the watercraft I’d learned from other types of fishing.

If you are not interested in casting, casting isn’t very interesting.

Regards

Vince
Hi Vince,

I think your assessment of take up of casting schemes and competitions is correct. As I've said a few times, I believe competition casting has little spectator appeal. Great for casting geeks but not so for normal, well adjusted people ;). I do however, acknowledge Paul's suggestions to create public interest in the sport and hope his views can be implemented successfully.

More power to him,

John

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:38 am I agree that’s the ultimate ticket, Vince. But if we don’t challenge ourselves to perform these casts in training then we can’t do it when it matters most.

My measure is putting the shots in, first time, where I want them. That’s my game. But I only get 4 casts/day on average. That won’t happen without proper training. I’m quite sure that my competition casting has given me the skills to make high-pressure shots. Even though the shots here requite additional skills, the targeting, stopless nature and line speed are all in there.

I put about 90% in on the money first time. I am trying to improve this; the shots that don’t go in completely disturb my enlightened state of mind and anyone else no doubt within 10km who hear me. I’d like to be able to make overpowered curved snakehead shots in both directions and not only right to left. Basically I want to catch them all :D

Ironman is another good example for me. Ironman is my challenge but I don’t do it for the T shirt and medal. I do it because it makes me train 6 days/week and the fitness results enhance my life.

And now… I’m going to try to find a few shots! Lessons tonight and then a bike ride. My day is full :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
Totally agree Paul, if it was all about the medals, casting sport would have ended due to having no entrants to a world championship event, decades ago. The mainstay of all sport is not the Olympians or World Champions, but the Saturday or Sunday competitors and volunteers who make it possible for the few to be attain that top level of performance. Most sportspeople are not medal winners, but they are all competitors, many competing against themselves. It's really interesting to watch children's athletics. It's not the order they come in the race, jump or throw or who gets the gold medal. They all want to see their times, jumps or throws and compare it to their personal best results. I have great respect for your participation in Ironman contests. There are few sports that equal the physical challenges ironman competitors are presented with. I am sure you learn more about yourself than you do about your competitors, and that may just be the reason sport in all its guises, exists.

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:38 am I agree that’s the ultimate ticket, Vince. But if we don’t challenge ourselves to perform these casts in training then we can’t do it when it matters most.
I do agree Paul but ranging from #2 to #10 wt during a typical season in a variety of fisheries means that task and environmental constraints make training difficult. The solution is a contrived cast which depends on a broad range of control. If I screw up a shot, Ill repeat it immediately even if the opportunity has passed and I will set up the problem on the training field and work it out.

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi John
John Waters wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:42 am Failure can be also a challenge. Instructor assessment is not a ranking, so I see that as different from competition. IMHO opinion they are two different beasts.
I don't compete in casting sports but I did compete in various sports from club to national level over a period of 30 years and would have continued past that, had I not started working for myself. I accept that we are talking 2 different outcomes; not winning but getting placed is a lot more palatable than failing an assessment imo. Assessments are a binary outcome total joy or total failure, there are no in-betweens. Being ranked lower than you or anyone else expected is just one of those things, unless you didn't get out of bed and missed the event all together. I could see that being a problem :D
That aside, why do you think casting competitions do not attract more entrants?
I can only call it on what I see here, which I accept is a narrow view of the world. We've beaten the equipment read across to death previously but BFCC (which is a great organisation) events run parallel to the fishing season, and an April to September trout season soon disappears. If you are going to take the events seriously then you have to allocate time to training. I'm of a certain age and consider myself relatively time wealthy but my ideal week consists of 3 days working, 2 days fishing and 2 days being a domestic god. I try and wrap instruction into the fishing and practice casting during lunch breaks on my working days. There is no room in my life for competition.

regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Much bigger than those few who enter the exams in order to become a teacher and a million times bigger than those 3 ppl. who entered an exam while going to make their living on teaching.
So do you think there should be a separate assessment for the few that want to become teachers Bernd ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

John Waters wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:19 am It's really interesting to watch children's athletics. It's not the order they come in the race, jump or throw or who gets the gold medal. They all want to see their times, jumps or throws and compare it to their personal best results.
That's changed since my day as a competitor and parent, I've seen children throwing themselves on the floor and having complete meltdowns through sporting failure. Personally, I was fiercely competitive and was sent off for fighting playing volleyball that was being broadcast live. It was a bit embarrassing going back to work afterwards. I've also been sent off playing basketball and football :D

regards

Vince

John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:21 am
John Waters wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:19 am It's really interesting to watch children's athletics. It's not the order they come in the race, jump or throw or who gets the gold medal. They all want to see their times, jumps or throws and compare it to their personal best results.
That's changed since my day as a competitor and parent, I've seen children throwing themselves on the floor and having complete meltdowns through sporting failure. Personally, I was fiercely competitive and was sent off for fighting playing volleyball that was being broadcast live. It was a bit embarrassing going back to work afterwards. I've also been sent off playing basketball and football :D

regards

Vince
I have seen that behaviour on the odd occasion too Vince, but it has been very much the exception in my experience.

Sometimes maturity comes some negatives,

John
VGB

Post by VGB »

Wait until you see Mark after he’s blanked :D

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Don’t like blanking 😠
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Teaching”