PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Movement Skills Overview

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

VGB
Answers: 0

Movement Skills Overview

Post by VGB »

The Difference between Performance and Learning

I thought it worth starting a new thread that provides an overview of the science of movement skills. These videos are short but the conclusions are based upon a ton of research data and practical experimentation that have been linked elsewhere on the forum. The idea being that anyone trying to follow the discussions will be able to easily find the underlying principles.

I have deliberately put the difference between performance and learning first. None of the concepts involved in instruction will be understandable without this underpinning knowledge. In my opinion, most of the discussions about instructional techniques break down at this first hurdle.
In this video, we aim to differentiate between learning and performance of skills. Often, coaches may evaluate training based on short-term gains in performance rather than long term improvements which may lead to ineffective practice prescription. Training should be designed to enhance retention and transfer of skills to the competitive environment
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Re: Movement Skills Overview

Post by VGB »

Three Stages of Learning Movement

The previous video finished with objective assessments that provide a means of assessing learning. There are various models that describe learning, the collective has settled on the Fitts and Posner (F&P) 3 stage model. This model makes it easy to judge where a student is on the learning continuum by providing behavioural and performance pointers for the instructor.
This video explains the three stages of learning motor skills. Fitts and Posner's three stage model is a traditional cognitive theory for explaining motor learning. It is thought that through practice, learners progress through the three stages in a linear manner. It is important that coaches and other practitioners use motor learning theories to guide the prescription of practice.

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

VGB

Post by VGB »

How Does Attention Affect Motor Skill Learning and Performance?

Understanding the principles of focus and attention changed the way I taught. Instead of focusing on the loop and associated fault, I started to pay attention to the students focus of attention. Excuse the pun but it was a real eye opener, they weren’t doing what I assumed they were doing.
What should an athlete focus on when executing skills? Sport Science Collective explores the skill acquisition principle 'focus of attention'.

VGB

Post by VGB »

A bit more on focus of attention but introducing cognitive load and distraction. I particularly like the “seductive detail”, it reminds me of my first lesson where I emptied my head, complete with instructor jargon onto the student
What does attention have to do with learning? A lot. Here's a very short summary of some of the more interesting findings in the research on attention and learning in three simple lessons.

00:00 Lesson one - four stories about attention
2:21 One way of thinking about attention and learning
3:07 Lesson two - what controls attention?
4:06 Lesson three - the roles of students and teachers

VGB

Post by VGB »

Implicit vs Explicit Learning

I’m not sure if this should come with a trigger warning ;), the videos talk about the trade offs in instructional technique that lead to self sufficiency for the student. I particularly like the reduction in cognitive load for implicit learning

VGB

Post by VGB »

Practice Variabilty in Training of Motor Skills

A non intuitive finding on how practice variability affects performance and learning. I find that this is particularly useful for teaching anglers in highly variable environment, conducting a wide range of tasks
In this video, Sport Science Collective explores the skill acquisition principle of 'practice variability' and how it can be applied to improve learning of motor skills.

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Nice collection of videos Vince 👍
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
NM

Post by NM »

Great. Thanks Vince, Much appreciated.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Thanks Paul, I was trying to find sources that gave good information in bite size chunks. I think that the last one may answer your improvements in overhead casting, via Spey casting “improved learning through increased cognition”.

I’ve been thinking about showing practical applications of the theory but it’s not so easy to do without treading on toes. Lasse sent me a Facebook short video on basketball which is very interesting to see how people analyse the content but I don’t think it will link to here.

Regards

Vince

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Thanks Vince!

I appreciate the effort!

I'm about half way through the book "Motor Learning and Performance". I have been digesting it slowly, one chapter at a time, even though I keep wanting to jump to what I expect is "the good stuff" in the back. But, I suspect I need the parts before I can possibly understand the whole.

If I watch your videos above... is it going to ruin the story, as they say?

I'm going to pretend I didn't see that they are here until I read your answer.

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Teaching”