PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Movement Skills Overview

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

John Waters
Answers: 0

Re: Movement Skills Overview

Post by John Waters »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:50 am I don’t know the answer John. I think distance in the 5WT is very much tied to line carry and shoot is limited by this. A faster loop unrolls quicker, how much more line can be shot while the loop is unrolling, I don’t know.

I know that remaining momentum at loop straight will shoot more line. So extra speed certainly assists at loop straight.

The other side of the equation is the more speed we generate with the rod, the greater the resulting counterflex and the wider the initial loop shape. There is a balance in all of this.

Personally I think more distance will come from minimising the dangle and tightening the loop. We’ve all experienced casts that seem to “float” through the air.

Lots of unknowns.

Cheers, Paul
Agree Paul, carry is critical for the MED, the greater the mass, the longer the distance. Counterflex is a limiting factor but choice of rod can limit that negative. Performance will increase by reducing all the negatives, including loop shape, but I think increasing hand speed will be a major contributor to future distance performance.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John,

I’m not thinking mass, which obviously applies, but rather the length of carry determines to a large extent the length of shoot. Cast faster and it unrolls faster. How much more line is shot as a consequence would be interesting to find out.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Cast faster, and it shoots more before its unrolled :)
Smoother, faster, longer, if I was to boil it down.
And loops are a byproduct, its the line velocity we really want.
And that should be enough of a sidetrack, back to the direction of the thread :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

back to the direction of the thread
:laugh: :laugh: that would be a serious breach of tradition ..
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I thought increasing line velocity was a component of what we teach and therefore relevant to any "Movement Skills Overview" discussion.

I agree Paul, increasing carry does increase the elapsed time for line rollout and that is a good thing.

John
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

The OP was about "how" we teach I think John.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m happy to jump back to topic. But it certainly raises one for the science guys.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

John Waters wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:21 pm I thought increasing line velocity was a component of what we teach and therefore relevant to any "Movement Skills Overview" discussion.
I spend more time teaching self taught students to reduce hand speed John, how would you do that?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

The opening sentence threw me completely off topic Mark, apologies for misinterpreting the meaning of the science of movement skills.

That's why I said increasing line velocity is a component of teaching Vince. My students are usually self taught too, but want, and need, to increase line velocity. Just shows how varied our client objectives can be each being equally deserving of competent instruction. As your question is about the what of instruction and off topic, it might be worth starting a new thread. At the risk of ignoring the advice of John Cleese, the science of biomechanics may suggest you use the same movement skills to reduce line speed as you would to increase it.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Using less rod hand speed is often a way to lengthen carry and increase distance. Back to teaching here! It’s usually about that 80’ mark. I have the caster use less force while maintaining fast hauling. 100%, 90%, 80%, 70%. It’s a drill!

What happens is as the caster reduces rod hand speed and maintains fast hauling, is that the loops tighten. This in turn allows them to carry more line. And that allows them to cast further.

Rod speed does matter, but not until we are in the 1-teens. And even then I don’t throw at 100%.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Teaching”