PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Flycasting and mood enhancers?

Moderator: Haggisboy

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

Flycasting and mood enhancers?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Folks,

Can I get a show of hands from those who commonly cast sometimes just for the fun of it?

Some folks are competitive, others want to improve to catch more fish, I’m sure there are others who simply find it enjoyable?

If so, how would you rate different “additives”?

After putting “mood enhancers” in the title I found out that term has a specific medical interpretation! To be clear I am not talking about prescription drugs. I just did not know how else to describe common things like alcohol, caffeine, etc.. Hell, I even think the “right” music can fit into this concept.

Personally, I often take a cold beer out with me to the field. I have, on occasion, turned up my stereo on the porch. I’ve cast after maybe one too many drams of bourbon. And I think they all have an effect: up to a point, mostly positive.

Also personally, I avoid caffeine and nicotine. So I have no idea of their effect, but I expect they would be a big negative for me. Maybe not?

I have a friend who partakes in what Paul calls seal fur, I think. And that changes his casting quite a bit, but I absolutely abhor its use when anyone brings it fishing!

( Maybe I take fishing too seriously, but it seems challenging enough for me and I’m “straight”. Making it even more difficult is a waste of precious time. And don’t even suggest playing music out on the water! Sorry… rant off. :666: )

I’m just wondering what others use, have tried, or experienced, both the positives and the negatives.

Thanks!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Flycasting and mood enhancers?

Post by Paul Arden »

Altered states flycasting!

One of my friends calls casting with Seal’s Fur the “green zone” — stick a lumiline out there and it can be highly educational! I personally don’t fish this way either.

I certainly do cast to music at times for fun. The funky freestyle stuff I do came as a result of that. We also have had many “Lumi-line fights”, mostly between instructors. Thats highly entertaining and looks a bit like Star Wars :laugh:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

I specifically remember you trying to whip me in Romania! :D

Cast for fun, definetly, anything worth doing, is worth doing well, and if it's a chore it's a bore. Make it fun :pirate:

Enhancers, music is good, a good vibe is good, sometimes a bit of alcohol, especially gammel dansk to pour on Paul :p
I count lumilines as an enhancer on dark nights (when are they available again Paul?? mines bust...) I have a friend who can't stop casting them :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

I cast during my lunch breaks when I’m working from home, to get away from glass screens . I pick up the first bits of kit that come to hand and go out to play.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I wouldn’t recommend magic mushrooms and the lumiline. You might find yourself naked being chased by pink elephants.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Not working is all the mood enhancing I need :)
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

At first I thought we were talking about fly casting as a mood enhancer. But bringing a beer when going casting can be nice.

But I never brings alcohol when fishing. After fishing it can happen though. :blush:
Attachments
E9D5F13A-7CD3-4FB8-B13C-3460D0DA0400.jpeg
E9D5F13A-7CD3-4FB8-B13C-3460D0DA0400.jpeg (174.21 KiB) Viewed 444 times
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

i often go down the field when theres a Liverpool game on and listen on some soundwear head phones, if im going to waste and hour and ahalf of life listening to football i may as well being doing something useful, and hopefully the reds inspire to greastness. And I tend to be more philosphical and maganimous if we go a goal down, it really doesnt matter if your casting well.
I tried it with State of Origin rugby league matches but my beloved maroons just got me engaging all the muscles and overgripping and my hauling became industrial...

we have a tea time kick off against Arsenal on Sunday i could really dowith a lumiline!
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha we will have in stock for about 5 minutes in two weeks time :D

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:48 pm Haha we will have in stock for about 5 minutes in two weeks time :D
I hope priority is given for contribution and not just the longest casters
( or I’d be at the back of the queue)
Pom
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .

Return to “Manshit”