PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling - pulling fly line through the guides

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Walter
Answers: 0

Re: Hauling - pulling fly line through the guides

Post by Walter »

Torsten wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:58 am For #84: Tools like tracker compute an estimation of the derivative by numerical differentiation.
Torsten,

Thank you for your agreement on that.

Numerical differentiation is a powerful tool, but to say you’ve taken the derivative instead of numerical differentiation implies a different process and a potentially different result.

We should take advantage of teachable moments.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Torsten
Torsten wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:58 am depends pretty much on the current fishing situation, A and B.
What fishing use were you thinking of? I have tried A as a field exercise to increase the length of line that I could pick up and found it took a bit of time to set up. For me, offered no advantage against B but it did feel awkward.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Walter,

What I dislike about your A/B question is that it takes the premise that we are applying the haul as a supplement to the casting stroke (hand position at the start of the stroke somehow being related to the rod position). Most people probably do think this is what we are doing and indeed many are, but I don’t and I’m sure many on the Board don’t either!

For distance, about 20 years ago, I worked out how I could make my most explosive haul. Just the arm line hand movement. The starting hand position is determined by that and not by wherever the rod hand or stripping guide is positioned at a point in time. Then once I had worked out what I wanted to do with my hauling hand/arm to make the most explosive haul, only then did I apply the rod position around that.

In other words hauling pattern came first, and then I moved the rod around to adjust so that I am hauling away from the rod. So the question I think that should be asked, is not where the line hand starts in relation to the rod, but where it starts? (Open ended). Whatever answer we get will tell us what the caster is doing/trying to accomplish as well as answer your initial question.

I think your initial question was rod hand or stripping guide, or maybe I dreamed that :) , but if it was then for me it’s neither.

I think this makes a big difference because I think hauling pattern is the most important consideration. I see many competitive casters who haven’t done this yet. And they would cast further if they did!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

I dunno Paul, you are talking about distance, Torsten about fishing and Graeme’s original point was about teaching anglers. It seems that everyone is discussing different things again :p. I get Graeme’s point, many recreational anglers are hauling fresh air because of slack in the line.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It seems that everyone is discussing different things again :p
Probably :pirate:

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Of more immediate importance. I have two after dark lessons tonight. Should I park the boat closer to the jungle where huge night time wasps are attracted to the floodlamp, or in more open water where any storm is going throw three foot waves at me? It’s decisions like this that torment me.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Bees are the way ahead :D

Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul,

Many people seem to have a dislike for that question. I’ve noticed that there is a distinct dislike for straightforward answers on SL. :p

Your approach to working out the haul first is interesting. It’s generally accepted that hauling is an advanced technique and you did say that that your comments were specifically about distance casting so I’m assuming you are beginning with casters who have progressed above the beginner level. Presumably, since hauling is considered by most to be an advanced technique, your approach is to take people who have already developed a personal style and may or may not have been introduced to the haul and have them totally deconstruct their existing style in favour of rebuilding their cast by beginning with a blank slate and concentrating on first and foremost finding out what works best for them as a haul. After that is established you add in the other bits around it while maintaining that haul throughout the addition of those bits and concentrating on bits that enhance the haul? Am I understanding that correctly? Note that I’m not commenting on the efficiency or efficacy of your approach. Just trying to see if I understand it. Like most things I can can see pluses and minuses in that approach. I don’t think there is ever any single best way but you will do what works best for you as an athlete and a coach. I think whatever you are doing is the product of many years of experience and experimentation.

And that is a segue into part of my reasoning for the question. I was curious to see if the majority of experienced casters (and experienced thinkers about casting) assumed that beginning with hands near to each other at the start of the haul was best because that is what most people appear to do or if they had considered the ramifications of using a different starting point and had experimented at some point.

Again, there is no absolute best choice. It’s going to depend partly on the situation, purpose, physics/mathematics and biomechanics but if in the majority of cases most experienced casters gravitate towards doing something similar there is probably a reason, or number of reasons, for that.

Gordy appears to be advocating for something that appears to be radical but there is merit to it for some situations but I don’t think it applies to the majority of situations. He is also advocating for determining haul speed strictly by measuring the rate of change in distance between the stripper guide and hauling hand but I think that’s something better discussed on the technical board. Graeme and Gordy have both made excellent beginnings in that regard.

You have indicated that you may change based on whether it’s the forward cast or backcast. Fly casting is an asymmetrical activity built around a symmetrical body so that has some real merit imo. GF seems to have gotten around that partially by moving the activity overhead where the asymmetrical aspects are less important. Your approach is to take advantage of the asymmetricality.

Torsten has pointed out that it really is situational and I agree with that but that needs a lot more discussion. Some of what I’ve seen through this discussion is that we need to realize that something that works well for single hauling may not work well for double hauling and vice versa.

Lastly, I think there is a lot of interesting stuff that hasn’t been discussed such as the importance of feel in the double haul but it’s really off topic from the start of this topic. I’ll probably start a new thread for that.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

but to say you’ve taken the derivative instead of numerical differentiation implies a different process and a potentially different result.
Walter,
"Potentially different" seems to be the operative word in that assessment.

There are dozens of numerical derivative algorithms for calculating the change in some value with respect to another variable (I like using cubic B-spline routines for that process) and I would expect if you compare their values with the one given by a closed form expression the difference in the resultant speed or velocity value would be very small. That is especially true for the smoothly varying distance functions we see in casting.

Can you give an example where that is not the case?

Gordy
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Walter,

I don’t think hauling is an advanced technique and I teach beginners to double haul and often in the first lesson. I do think there are advanced techniques in double hauling and many nuances and indeed patterns that I wouldn’t teach to beginners.

I thought your original question was about what we do ourselves and not what we teach? I don’t teach beginners to build a distance around their most explosive haul pattern any more than I teach beginners distance casting.

When I first teach the double haul to a beginner I teach hands together.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”