PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hauling - pulling fly line through the guides

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

NM
Answers: 0

Re: Hauling - pulling fly line through the guides

Post by NM »

Walter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:43 am Wow,

Some non answers to a simple A or B choice but I can see where I made an error.

Maybe this will be better..

Choices are:

A) 2 inches (5 cm) or less from the stripping guide.
B) more than 2 inches (5 cm) from the stripping guide.

Apologies to those who already answered a or B.
Walter,

It is B for me, and for many of the same reasons as Lasse.
This is my backcast sequence for the ST27 cast that Gordy measured the forward cast part of.
Nils  Backcast haul sequence.png
I could likely have reached further up towards the rod with my left hand before the start of the haul and/or before I start pulling the haul hand down. That would have meant less of a bend in it at that time, which actually could be good. It might have allowed me to have more of a bend in the arm later on in the haul, and importantly at the point where I am starting to straighten the arm. I agree of course with Paul and the others that that arm-straightening is an important source of haul speed.

Nils
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

B.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

IMG_2133.jpeg
IMG_2133.jpeg (54.69 KiB) Viewed 297 times
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

Post by Walter »

Gordy,

I’m a bit confused by your use of the word derivative. A derivative is the rate of change of a function with respect to a variable. For example, speed and velocity are time based derivatives of distance and displacement respectively. A derivative is a function, not a value, and in order to determine a derivative you would need to know the function you are deriving it from. You can determine an average value for speed/velocity over some arbitrary time interval by measurement, but in order to determine instantaneous speed/velocity at some specific point in time you would need the function/derivative that defines speed/velocity as a function of time.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

in order to determine a derivative you would need to know the function you are deriving it from.
Walter,
I agree.

The function is the distance between the stripper guide and the haul hand as a function of time.

As explained that difference is obtained using a variable reference frame in Tracker. Tracker then takes the derivative of that function with respect to time to get the haul speed.

Let me know if their is something in the description of the process or the graphs that are in post #68 that you don't understand.

Gordy
Walter

Post by Walter »

Gordy,

You have a number of data points, not an actual function. You’ve then performed numerical differentiation to generate another group of data points. It may seem pedantic but it’s not the same as a derivative.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

B

John
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

It may seem pedantic
Walter,
I agree.
Gordy
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

B
FFi CCI
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Walter,

depends pretty much on the current fishing situation, A and B. What's the purpose of this poll?

#36 looks to me incomplete, you need to consider both rod and line hand, as well as biomechanics like body constraints. At least it's not that simple to determine if in-axis or out of axis hauling is more efficient or more effective. Nils sequence in #81 shows e.g. out of axis hauling through the stroke, only at the end it's aligned - I'd agree with Paul's observation.

For #84: Tools like tracker compute an estimation of the derivative by numerical differentiation.

Greetings,
Torsten

Return to “Flycasting”